What variety of Shop bought apples for cider use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armelodie

Reaction score
HI All

Could anyone recommend a good blend of store bought apple varieties for cider making. My apple tree is fecked with caterpillars.
The shops seem to be full of 'gala/golden delicious/granny smith/jonagold'.. are these any good..

Ta

I made two, five gallon batches back in January. One was 90% Braeburn, 5% Cox and 5% Bramley, really nice. The other was 100% Jonagold and is also brilliant. Still supping both and enjoying them.

This Autumns batch will be made from a whole bunch of apples from friends trees, mostly unknown varieties. Will it be good? I should think so :)

Thanks Trunky...just wondering..hope you dont mind a few quick questions

1.with those jonagold did you use an added yeast..i have the lallvin 1118 and youngs cider yeast.
2. Did you record the temperature of the storage area.
3. Any idea of Hydrometer readings at the start and end..

:thumb:

I added a few camden tablets to the juice and after about 24 hours pitched youngs cider yeast.

Starting gravity was around the 1.055 mark. Starting temp was ambient house temp in January - say 20c, moved to my cellar at 12c after a week. Left to ferment out - months!

Final gravity below .9xxx - can't recall.

Two pints is the max that can be had sensibly in one session.

12C !!! I think I'll have to find a new location as the most convenient place I was thinking of leaving it is always 20C..hope the wife doesn't mind if I dig up the kitchen to make a cellar :lol:

Armelodie said:
12C !!! I think I'll have to find a new location as the most convenient place I was thinking of leaving it is always 20C..hope the wife doesn't mind if I dig up the kitchen to make a cellar :lol:

I think she'd understand. You have to have your priorities in life see...

Back