What type of bottles can be used?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayne Berry

Reaction score
I've just started my second brew of Coopers Real Ale, and have the ingredients for my third. I have bought enough bottles from home brew supply shops for the first two brews and have been collecting other bottles to hopefully save a few quid on bottling the third brew.

But what bottles are actually useable?

I've been collecting: Tonic Water, Coke, Vimto and Co-operatives Orange Cordial.

I beleive that the Tonic and Coke bottles should be OK as they were bought with "fizzy" contents. But what about cordial bottles? Vimto cordial bottles do have the PET triangle symbol on them, is this adequate, and normal cordial, are they OK to use too?

I figured I should get this cleared up before blowing up the kitchen units.

many thanks.

I would stick to the bottles that have previously contained carbonated drinks as these are designed to take the pressure :thumb:
Brown glass beer bottles or Magners/Bulmers cider bottles used with crown caps look more professional though ;)

yeh thicker glass bottles like newkie brown bottles and grolcsh best to be tinted glass aswell so not to spoil the beer :thumb:

As above, mixer and pop bottles are fine :thumb:
Don't re-use cordial or still water bottles.

If you use clear or green bottles for beer, store them in a cardboard box or in a dark place.

Latest posts

Back