What to use as a mash tun / boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
Spent about 3hrs last night having a nosey through the site and decided that after a few kit brews am gonna have a go at the real thing :pray:

gonna start to build the micro brewery soon though to try and spread the cost a bit.......has anyone ever used these:

http://www.waterbuttsnbottles.co.uk/pro ... CAT_ID=114 for building the mash tun and boilers?? Im presuming as there food grade there acceptable? :hmm:

You really need to find out what type of plastic they're made from to see if it can cope with boiling wort.

How were you planning on insulating the mash tun?

People have used these (or similiar) as boilers, but they get very flexible. It's a good idea to build a wooden frame around it.

jamesb said:
You really need to find out what type of plastic they're made from to see if it can cope with boiling wort.

How were you planning on insulating the mash tun?

People have used these (or similiar) as boilers, but they get very flexible. It's a good idea to build a wooden frame around it.

Was thinking of using spray foam...make a jacket/form round the tub, fill with spray foam then trim it all up when its set. Might help keep it all nice and stable too? from on the tinterweb it seems there used for a variety of foodstuffs as well as a lot of strong chemicals too :hmm:

Ha im not sure lol.....im a complete newbie but ive got good technical ability haha.....and plenty ov spare time!! so i dont mind building something to last, even if it takes a bit longer :) at least that way ill get a few more kit brews in :)

I also made my mash tun from a fermenting bucket wrpaed it with this stuff and then use cylinder jackets wraped roound it when I brew
I also cut a circle out of some inslation bat ( 50mm thick foam) to go under the lid and rest just above the mash and a thinner bat for on top of the lid ( kingspan 20mm thick). seems to keep temp forat least 3 hours no loss when its got the grains in ( I only know as this was measured after a clean up )

Latest posts

Back