what is turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanoD

Reaction score
as title says what is a turbo cider , how is it made and what ingrediants are needed ? i know ive asked alot of questions but i drink cider quite abit and would like to make my own strong dry cider

if i was to make a gallon batch as i only have one 25litre fermenting bucket which currently has a lager brewing in it , what weight of each item would i need obviously i know only need 4.5 litres of apple juice and how long does it take till its ready ?

4L apple juice, a mug of strong black tea, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/2 sachet of cider yeast. :thumb:

Two pounds of brewing sugar in a one gallon brew :shock: , won't that more like a strong wine and not so good tasting? I never add sugar to turbo cider anymore, it's just nicer without, and ends up around 5%. Adding sugar can make a fally-over drink, but not necessarily a nicer one. If you want it quite strong, I believe an additional 100g of sugar per gallon will contribute around an extra 1% alcohol, but this is a rough guide and you should calculate the total sugar in your brew or take an hydrometer reading for accuracy.

As for brewing times, well, it should be finished in a week or two, cleared in another week or two, bottled and then ready for drinking within another week or two. You could be drinking your cider in a month, TBH leaving it for a lot longer is recommended (especially if you add extra sugar, as it dilutes the flavour and can taste a bit rough when young). If you can rack and leave your cider for 6 months in the demijohn before bottling, you will be more likely to have nicer cider, it really does improve with age. However my cider doesn't usually get left that long before first tasting, so replacing one carton of apple juice (per gallon of) with a carton of other fruit juice (cranberry, mixed berry, blueberry etc) can make a big improvement on the flavour if you want to drink it quickly.

Basic 1gallon recipe is 4l cheapo AJ ("from concentrate" is fine), 0.5l very strong tea, nutrient, yeast - gives about 5.5%
Improve by taking out 0.5l AJ and adding 0.5l something like cranberry or pomegranate to round out flavour
Improve again by using powdered tannin so you can get more AJ in, for more apple flavour
If you like the scrumpy style rather than a clean cider, try a red wine yeast and/or use yeast salvaged from a bottle of Old Rosie and/or add malic acid and leave to mature for 6 months instead of 4 weeks.
To get more apple flavour, switch to using AJ concentrate - sadly this puts the ABV up to 6.5 or more - and costs more.
Eg 0.5l AJconc, 0.5l or 1l AJ, 0.5l cranberry, 0.5l tea, nutrient, yeast, water to 1 gallon

Ferment 10 to 20 days - until it clears. Then bottle (1tsp sugar per pint/500ml) or rack for bulk maturing. After bottling, 2weekswarm2weekscold to carbonate. Left longer it'll be better.

Back