What do you guys use as 10 gallon mashtuns ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D C

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just completed AG No 3 on Sunday :party: but after about 6 1/2 hours doing AG No 3 of (23 litres) using one of these as my mashtun.

My current mashtun
PICT0191.jpg

I thought why not double it up and brew a 46 litre batch instead :hmm: But then I realised I will need a bigger mashtun :hmm: So I am here asking the question :wha: What do you lot use as a mashtuns for doing 10 gallon batches :?:

:cheers: DC

I'm still happily using a larger version of that, it's 66L and doesn't loose anything at all over 90 mins.

There are shiny thermoboxes which lots of people use, but I can't justify replacing my coolbox tun while it's working so well :thumb:

I use a 50L keg! . . . although I can make 18 gallon batches in that . . . A 33L Fermenter covered in camping mats works very well as a larger Mash Tun . . . Your 24L coolbox is only 24L including the lid . . . its about 4L short ;)

I'll be using a 24L thermobox for my 20L batches . . . and an 80L thermobox for the BIG batches. . . . when I get around to converting them :roll:

Hi guys, Thanks for the swift replies, I have a couple of big beer kegs I think they are 11 gallons (72 pint) ones, but not sure wether they are stainless steel or aluminium ! Would one of these be suitable as a 10 gallon mashtun ? Not sure how much work would be involved in converting one into a mashtun :wha:. I was thinking of selling them on and buying more Cornies but now thinking of using one as a mashtun maybe !

Cheers DC

Wez said:
There are shiny thermoboxes which lots of people use,

Like this one....its a 70l thermobox from a company called Nordic Optical off eBay. Its been converted so that I could use the manifold from my picnic box (similar to your own).

ShinyMashTun.jpg
Manifold.jpg
DoughedIn.jpg

I use a 80ltr thermo box, this is how I converted mine....not the easiest. The smaller TB's have taps which you can simply replace.
If you are on the look out for a large cool box now's the best time to buy one. Camping places will have on sale as we go into the winter.
Have fun whatever you decide and keep us posted :thumb:

I use a 65ltr Coleman cool box for my 10g brews,
I also will be using it with 20kg of grain for alemans imperial stout 38ltr @1.105og.

Latest posts

Back