What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A glass of my Pirate Pale while bottling some beers and preparing for a brewday tomorrow.

IMG_7948.jpeg

My son has just got a job with brewdog and I realised how negative I feel about the company, both the situation with sexual harassment with the founders, and the idea of selling out to the mass market. He’s challenged me about my views and today I’m in Aberdeen on the way up to Orkney and having lunch in the Brewdog here. So I asked the barman for a flight of the 4 beers that sold the least. He got brownie points for bringing 5 as it was an original challenge.
The 5 are (left to right ) King Crush, Dog M, Arcade mode, Mountain brew, and a barley wine I can’t remember the name of.
Overall I’m a bit stunned! These are really good beers, like I’d be super chuffed to make any of these except the Mountain Brew.
King Crush: New world stone fruit IPA - no hint of oxidation at all …. That’s far far harder than it sounds to make.
Dog M: This year’s release, an imperial IPA , my favourite, vanilla, oak and I’ve made something similar but annoyingly this is better
Arcade Mode: A close 2nd a new world fruity IPA - though more fruity than IPA , apparently a new hop variety - good
Mountain Dw: umm … nope.. lime, bitterness but too much sweetness, I’m sure it was meant to balance but nope doesn’t work
The barley wine: oooh yes ..sorry guys…. But this one does it for me… only reason it doesn’t reach the top spot is it is sooo caramel sweet it’s just a bit too much - small amounts only with other drinks

In last place, the accompanying chicken Caesar salad ordered for lunch. Judging by the brown edges to the lettuce I’m guessing not many people coming to a brewdog order a salad 💁‍♀️
IMG_0177.jpeg

Back