What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First day back up in Orkney this month, not as active as I’d hoped but allowing myself a drink before a couple of weeks on call. Just finished making a couple of 2 portion vegetarian lasagnas, one for now and one for the freezer…. It’s a lot more yum than you might think… unlike this beer 😕 which I liked the sound of but on tasting realised I’d tried it before and it’s really quite odd… I am not convinced raspberry works in beers, has an odd slightly chemical bitterness to it. Having said that it did for lubrication while cooking and a bit of kitchen jiving to a brilliant jazz playlist I found.. so the music is smooth even if the beer isn’t 💃.
View attachment 99129
What's the Jazz playlist, Anna?

Finally a walk to the pub with the dogs, Butty Bach kicked as she was pouring it so it’s a Campden Pale. And the obligatory pork scratchings.

IMG_3768.jpeg

what kit did you use then if better than the real thing as U2 would say
It was this one. Muntons Gold “Imperial” Stout. Not really Imperial at all but pretty good.

My 4th kit batch was started just after Christmas. Two cans of rich dark gloop gave a starting gravity of 1044 (seems a touch low, maybe I didn't stir very well). No hop additions and it plateaued out a touch high at 1016 (only 6g yeast I think?) to give a notional 3.68% ABV before carbonation which is fine but Catherine the Great wouldn't have recognised it as "Imperial". Samples taken during fermentation and at bottling tasted very promising though. Followed the instructions which suggested 0.5tsp per bottle (or 83g in total) of light spray malt for carbonation.

Anyway after conditioning and cooling this has come out very nicely in terms of taste and drinkability. Smooth but with a nice roasty/coffee taste to it. Taste is improving every week I try some (so far has been in cool storage 6 weeks).

Carbonation is a touch low though. I can create a head by pouring it rapidly, and it looks the business for a while but I'd like just a bit more carbonation on the tongue. If I did it again, I'd up the carbonation sugar a bit. All in all a very good (non Imperial) kit though.

Finally a walk to the pub with the dogs, Butty Bach kicked as she was pouring it so it’s a Campden Pale. And the obligatory pork scratchings.

View attachment 99227
IMG_20240504_195003.jpg

Ah ha!
At last a genuine Camden Pale ale photo for comparison.
I was correct to rename mine Camden Amber ale as it is Munich dark, not the Munich light I got in to make it.
My mistake for not being specific enough when ordering.
Thanks for the photo 'opportunity'.
🍻

I have not been drinking too much of late but after two days of sorting out my hydroponics, I felt I deserved a couple.
Poes Boston bitter, still got about half a keg left, despite leaving the lid off the keg for a week in early March no signs of oxidising.
IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

It's time to give my Milk Stout a tryout, still green with a nice head and some lacing. Rich creamy taste, sweet but not cloying. Chocolate and fruit with good body. Ideal for the cold winter nights.
IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG

Back