Wembley stadium.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Wembley be sold and the money used for grass roots football?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No.

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Should Wembley be sold and the money used for grass roots football?

I think it should it isn't Wembley its the new Wembley so for me the history went when they rebuilt it.

This is aimed at football fans if you are not a fan please do not comment.

article-2286258-005EF51000000258-159_634x422.jpg

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45665700

The proposed £600m sale of Wembley Stadium has moved a step forward after being discussed by the Football Association's board.

It will now be considered by the 127-member FA Council on 11 October, with its views likely to impact on the board's final decision.

FA chiefs say money from the sale to Fulham owner Shahid Khan could help transform community facilities.

But the plan was called "ridiculous" by former England player Gary Neville.

In a statement, an FA spokesperson said: "The sale of Wembley Stadium, the negotiated protections and an outlined plan to invest £600m into football community facilities, were presented and discussed at the FA board meeting today.

"Following on from this discussion, the FA board has agreed to take the presentation to the FA Council to get its input now that the full facts are known."

Where would FA Cup, Challenge Cup Final and play-offs be staged?
The FA Cup final and semi-finals, The FA Community Shield, The FA Vase and Trophy Finals, EFL Cup Final, Rugby League's Challenge Cup final and the Football League play-offs would continue to be played at Wembley.
Only the fixtures played at Wembley in the autumn would be affected. It is understood Euro 2020 fixtures at Wembley, which includes the semi-final and final, would be able to go ahead as planned.

Where would England play?

Wembley would remain the home of English football but England's autumn internationals would have to be played elsewhere, to make way for NFL games at Wembley, which would be held between September and December.
After the old Wembley closed its doors in 2000, England were on the road between February 2001 and February 2007, playing at 14 different grounds.

Where would ticket revenue go?
The FA would retain ticket rights for the events it holds at the stadium. This would mean that when it rented the stadium, for fixtures such as England games and The FA Cup final, it would keep the revenue from ticket sales.

Pros and cons - what they say

FOR

The FA says only one in three grassroots pitches are of adequate quality and it will invest in facilities.

FA chief executive Martin Glenn: "This is an opportunity to unleash an unprecedented amount of investment into community football. Receiving an offer to sell Wembley Stadium is not a 'betrayal'. It is not selling the 'soul of the game'."

Prospective Wembley buyer Shahid Khan: "If you love English football, you want this deal to go ahead. This is a very good deal for all parties involved."

AGAINST

Opponents have suggested selling an iconic national venue is a short-term plan which the FA will live to regret.

Former England and Manchester United defender Gary Neville: "The FA feels to fund the grassroots programme, they have to sell a national asset - it's quite simply ridiculous. Don't sell Wembley when you can place a levy on agents' fees."

Ex-Wembley chairman and Chelsea owner Ken Bates: "I thought it was a joke at first. The FA is not a commercial institution; it is the custodian of the national game."

Last edited:
Yikes! I can't believe I agree with Ken Bates. No, it shouldn't be sold.

Besides, 600 million ? Doesn't seem a lot for a plot that size in London, especially when you factor in its potential revenue income. Looks like a bad deal to me.

Besides, 600 million ? Doesn't seem a lot for a plot that size in London, especially when you factor in its potential revenue income. Looks like a bad deal to me

If they just sold it and that was that i would agree but if you read the Q&A's below (and in the full article) it doesn't seem that bad a deal to me.

This is also a big plus for those outside London - "Wembley would remain the home of English football but England's autumn internationals would have to be played elsewhere, England were on the road between February 2001 and February 2007, playing at 14 different grounds"

Where would FA Cup, Challenge Cup Final and play-offs be staged?

The FA Cup final and semi-finals, The FA Community Shield, The FA Vase and Trophy Finals, EFL Cup Final, Rugby League's Challenge Cup final and the Football League play-offs would continue to be played at Wembley.
Only the fixtures played at Wembley in the autumn would be affected. It is understood Euro 2020 fixtures at Wembley, which includes the semi-final and final, would be able to go ahead as planned.

Where would England play?

Wembley would remain the home of English football but England's autumn internationals would have to be played elsewhere, to make way for NFL games at Wembley, which would be held between September and December.
After the old Wembley closed its doors in 2000, England were on the road between February 2001 and February 2007, playing at 14 different grounds.

Where would ticket revenue go?
The FA would retain ticket rights for the events it holds at the stadium. This would mean that when it rented the stadium, for fixtures such as England games and The FA Cup final, it would keep the revenue from ticket sales.

Read all Q&A's here - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-English-football-sold-England-play-more.html

As i posted the Q&A's from the Mail after i posted the original question and poll i have now allowed members to change their poll vote should they wish.

£600m, by the time all the interested parties have had their slice there’ll be about £50 left for grass roots football!

Can’t believe I’m agreeing with Gary Neville!

I agree. They will loose all the revenue from concerts, etc and it looks like revenue from England matches will be present revenue minus rent. Add to the fact they will no longer control the home of football and I just don't see the value in the deal.

Putting my work head on, I would ask if it was possible to buy a suitable site in London, prepare it, ensure it had equal transport links and finally build a suitable stadium for £600m.

I suspect the answer would be no, so I'm just not convinced it's a great deal.

Given that it now costs £1 billion to build a stadium nowadays (without the cost of the land), and that's a 62,000 seater in the case of Spurs. £600 million for a 90,000 seater would be the bargain of the century. Let the rich foreign bloke buy a bit of land and build his own.

If it were turning a profit they'd be keeping it you would think. They are probably still paying it off.

Latest posts

Back