Weird scrumpy recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a recipe based on the fallacy that good cider had a couple of dead rats floating in it :roll:

Good cider is just apple juice and nothing else.

When I was on holiday in Dorset a few weeks ago, we visited a pub which had 60 odd different ciders available.

The landlord told us that a lot are made with raw bacon hanging in them, apparently helps keep the bad yeasts at bay and also helps it clear.

No maybe no such a stupid idea. I was thinking about trying a demi john using this method this year and see how it turns out.

I think you'll find the landlord was talking complete cobblers. I would like to know from where he got his information, most likely a 'story' for gullible tourists.

By the way, I grew up in the heart of cider country but I still don't know the answer - what's the difference between scrumpy and cider? Is scrumpy a subset of cider?

from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/

------------------
Scrumpy is a term often used to described certain types of cider. It is one of those terms for which everyone has a definition and everyone's definition is different. Originally it was cider made from windfalls (scrumps). For most people it means a rough, cloudy and unsophisticated cider. It is most often applied to young cider, ie that which is only a few months old and has yet to undergo the maturation phase (including the malo-lactic fermentation). For other people, including some cider makers, it can mean the finest cider, from selected, better apples, slowly fermented and matured for longer than ordinary ciders.
-----------------

So, it's a young or old cider that's rough or refined made from windfall or specially selected apples.

i.e. more cobblers :)

Would be interesting to track the history of the word as it probably meant something once but is now used as a label for something which wouldn't be called that when the term was originally used. Like IPA or stout.

Well we definately used to "scrump" apples (still do actually ;) ) but that was always refering to the act of stealing them rather than taking windfalls specifically.

Latest posts

Back