Weihenstephaner & Erdinger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan

Regular.
Reaction score
Had two of my tescos offer beers tonight and i'd thought i'd review them as its the first time i've had these beers!

Weihenstephaner (Germany)
On the bottle it say the world's oldest brewery since 1040, This wheat beer pours cloudy pale yellow, with a big foam white head. It got nice banana smell and taste, Its nice on the palete and smooth but livley in the mouth, I would recomend!!!

Erdinger (Germany)
Erdinger has a honey gold colour and is cloudy. The nose is nutral. On the palate its smooth, thick and creamy, and very hard to describe the flavor. its one of those you could drink all night with out relising how much you've drunk! :drunk: another good wheat beer, I enjoyed it :P

Agreed with both reviews . . . try the Erdinger Dunkel for an interesting take on Wheat beers . . . and the Bernard Cerne Pivo for a very interesting take on 'Lager'

Both available at Tesco

I've been revisiting Wheat Beers lately and after chasing up a Paulaner Weißbier Naturtrüb with an Erdinger Weißbier I found it wanting in comparison. Next on the list is a König Ludwig Weißbier and then on to the local who have it on draught. In fact today promises to be a day of beer adventure as I'm going to visit all 10 of my local pubs (within a mile radius of each other) and see what they're all like.

Nice reviews by the way and I definitely recommend the Paulaner.

Bernard Cerne Pivo, Erdinger Dunkel are on the shopping list :thumb:

arturobandini- Paulaner Weißbier Naturtrüb, König Ludwig Weißbier are these on sale in any supermarkets???

Might nip over to the nearest Booths and look at there Very Good range of beers (last time I got a 8 bottle box of Moorhouse Black Cat for £8 and a case of 12 Thwaites Wainwright fo £12)

Konig Ludwig and the Paulaner I got from a wine merchants in my town who has a small but impressive foreign beer section. Thwaites imports the Konig Ludwig and it can be found in a fair few of their pubs in bottle or draught. The draught version I had today was excellent also.

arturobandini said:
Konig Ludwig and the Paulaner I got from a wine merchants in my town who has a small but impressive foreign beer section. Thwaites imports the Konig Ludwig and it can be found in a fair few of their pubs in bottle or draught. The draught version I had today was excellent also.

Hmmmm Thwaites is based in Blackburn, which is very near me so guess it wont be very hard to find the Konig around here!! Booths will be my best bet if I want it in bottle form as they prefer to use local suppliers which Thwaites is one!!! :) :) :)

how was the 'beer adventure'???? :thumb:

Pretty good though ended up having more than a quick sample in each place. About 2-3 pubs I would go in again and the rest I can see closing up within the next few months as they are truly dire. The nearest Pub to my house has Copper Dragon's Golden Pippin and Timothy Taylor's landlord on at the moment so it was all good!

I used to drink bucketfuls of Erdinger in the summer months if the right Pubs had it on draught. That Paulaner was just top notch though so I was a little dissapointed by the Erdinger that followed. It's still a delicious beer though and by two get one free is indeed something to be snapped up.

Got a bottle of the Erdinger Dunkel, and two bottles of Grolsch Weizen which claims to be the' worlds best wheat beer' today, didn't know Morrisons had such a good wheat beer section!!

Got to say that Paulaner is one of my favourite beers on a sunny day. Am definitely gonna do a hefe, once I get some cornies.

Just opened my Erdinger Dunkel and it is goood!! its nearly gone in a few gulps its so good!! :drink: next up Grolsh's take on the wheat beer :drink:

Yo,

Just a question...

anyone heard of Grolsh Herfst Bok??? It comes in a red bottle and I had it years ago.

Also any idea where I can buy some?

Tried Edelwiess (Linky) from sainsburys tonight. V nice and reminds me of Paulaner. A good one for the Hefe Heads :thumb:

bolty said:
Tried Edelwiess (Linky) from sainsburys tonight. V nice and reminds me of Paulaner. A good one for the Hefe Heads :thumb:

Can't say I was impressed by Edelwiess curious absence of flavour in the middle i.e. there is taste at the beginning and at the end but a kind of gap in the middle. Does that makes sense?

Sainsburys stock my favourite Schneider Weisse, which is a little darker than a typical weissbier and absolutely lovely much better than erdinger IMO. Sadly there is a big empty gap inbetween erdinger and grolsh weizen where it should be in my branch though :(

Booths stock erdinger normal and dunkel as well as weihenstephaner (hefe i think) and konig ludwig. I've not seen dunkel weiss other than erdinger (and homebrew) in this country though.

TheMumbler said:
bolty said:

Can't say I was impressed by Edelwiess curious absence of flavour in the middle ................

.......Booths stock erdinger normal and dunkel as well as weihenstephaner (hefe i think) and konig ludwig. I've not seen dunkel weiss other than erdinger (and homebrew) in this country though.

I agree on the Edelwiess I thought it was a bit tasteless!

If you like wheatbeers and have access to booths try and get a Hebden Wheat by Little Valley Brewery!!! it is very different!!

Stoney said:
Yo,

Just a question...

anyone heard of Grolsh Herfst Bok??? It comes in a red bottle and I had it years ago.

Also any idea where I can buy some?

You will need to buy this in holland, as coors don't currently import this one, they have only just started circulating grolsh wheat beer (quite citrusy), and Grolsh Blond (don't bother) , so there is hope but not much just yet.

Latest posts

Back