Washing/harvesting Wyeast 1968

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanky94

Reaction score
I am trying to harvest the high flocculant Wyeast 1968.
From the image, please can someone tell me what is the yeast and what is the trub? Is it yeast on the bottom?

Thanks

SAM_3764.JPG

SAM_3765.JPG

It all looks pretty good to me. Leave that in the fridge for a few days and it'll all compact down.

To me, it still looks active and mixed. Fridge it for a few days and then you can make out the white line above the gray trub. That'll give you an idea on how much yeast you have.

So the scramble egg looking stuff on the top when 1968 is doing its job is the yeast? Correct

Yes, the chucky stuff at the bottom will be the yeast. I've read WY1968 and WLP002 can be a right pain because it's so flocculant and floccs to to the bottom faster than the trub

Washing that's going to take some time.
Crash it in the fridge and see if it separates. If it doesn't, it's not too bad to just pitch it.

The chunky stuff at the bottom is not the yeast. That is thrub. The layer sitting on top of that is the yeast. The middle layer in the jar if you like.
To get it you'll need to pour the first two layers of the two jars into another jar and let it settle. Do this a couple of times until you're left with the yeast and no thrub. Plenty of videos online on this.

The lumpy stuff on the bottom is the trub and the yeast is the finer stuff on top.
The trub hasnt broken down properly, so its hard to identify.
Give the jars a good shake for a minute and then let settle.
the trub will sink to the bottom first.
When you see a fine line on top of the trub, its time to move on to the next stage.
When the fine line appears, decant the liquor into another jar (this is what you want).
Once decanted, the suspended yeast will settle on the bottom.

Im washing a yeast today and will post some pics.

I have to disagree with johnnyboy65 & Cambrinus. . Everything I've red about this strain tells me that the yeast is at the bottom. Normally I'd agree with you but this strain is super flocculant. Because it's so flocculant it clumps together in what I've read others describe as looking like cottage cheese and sinks to the bottom of any yeast washing jar faster than the trub. However I've never used this strain myself. So I would suggest to do what Japanbrew says and just decant the water off the top and pitch it.That way you'll get all the yeast. The trub wont do any harm

Back