vivarium heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm building a fermenting cupboard, sadly SWMBO has put her foot down and said I can't use the spare room any more... :eek:

Anyways saw smallish heater mats at the local pet shop, wondered if there any good, maybe hooked up to a house thermostat that I have knocking about

Cheers Sean

What you need is your central heating boiler to be in the corner of the kitchen under the work top. You then ferment everything on the work top above the boiler. Everytime SWMBO walks in the kitchen she stops takes a deep breath and say dont it smell lovely in here :thumb:

Its the eggy sulphur smells from me wines that aint to pleasant :sick:
She keeps her clothes in there so can't blame her....much ;)

I keep all my wines and beers behind the couch in the living room, next to the radiator. At present ive got 6 DJ's and 2 FV's. Mrs Siv dosnt mind cus she cant see them.

Sean_Mc said:
Anyways saw smallish heater mats at the local pet shop, wondered if there any good, maybe hooked up to a house thermostat that I have knocking about
In principle your idea is good.
The problem as I see it is that heating mats are not very good at space heating.
While they are excellent at heating something stood on them, you would need to control the temperature of the brew and not the surrounding air temperature.
A tubular heater or similar source of heat could be controlled by a household thermostat very effectively.

Cheers Evanvine, pity as they were quite cheap.

I'll drag my heels getting the cupboard finished, until I sort the heating out.

Latest posts

Back