Using up treacle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sausages

Reaction score
I've been making a Christmas cake today which involves using a little bit of treacle. Rather than leaving the rest of the tin languishing in the cupboard, as usually happens, I'm thinking I should instead use it to brew something!
I just do kit beers, so thinking i could use treacle in place of some of the brewing sugar in a single can kit, probably a stout. Does anyone have a any suggestions of a kit to try this with and how much treacle to use?

ive used 1/2 a tin of black treacle (about 250g) in a dark black beer of 21litres, it is quite powerful stuff and it took about 6 months for the flavor to blend in, but was worth the wait.

Clint is right. The stuff in the green tin is golden syrup, best spread on your pancakes. Treacle is much thicker and is in a red tin. Added to a porter or stout, it can make a very special brew.

Clint is right. The stuff in the green tin is golden syrup, best spread on your pancakes. Treacle is much thicker and is in a red tin. Added to a porter or stout, it can make a very special brew.
You say tamato I say tomato 😁.. green tins unleaded, the red tins 4* .
31E26B65-6E73-4E55-9905-1202BBE28253.jpeg

They taste very different though...put a whole tin of syrup in a brew you won't taste much of it. A whole tin of treacle would dramatically change it.

Latest posts

Back