Using Centennial and Celeia hops together

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am working on a recipe based around Badgers Fursty ferret
According to the Badgers own website it has "crisp hop notes from Celia and Centennial hops, and a moreish-ly malty backbone of Ale and Crystal malt "

Elsewhere I found suggested an IBU of 30 and a EBC of 25 or so

So, I was wondering how best to use the Centennial and Celeia hops, bitter with both or just Centennial and then flavour and aroma with both?

Currently I have equal amounts of each at 60, 10 and hopstand which works with the IBU but don't have the experience with these hops to know if that work well?

Both fit the tasting note of Malt, floral and lemon hops, so would guess an equal mix should work. They both will have different bittering properties that might balance out. It'll allow movement in all directions on a rebrew, depending on whether you want soften the bitterness or make it more raspy. Likewise, with the level of aroma.

I love Fursty Ferret and it started as inspiration for a bitter recipe a couple of months ago.
In the end, it veered off piste a little and became something of a mix up taking elements from a few of my favourite beers (Fursty Ferret, Ludlow Stairway and TT Landlord) to the extent I called it 'Bandit Bitter' as I had no idea what it was supposed to be by the time I finished!

However, I did use Celeia, Centennial (and Sladek).
I was slightly worried the Centennial might overpower then Celeia. In the end I kept the Celeia as the main bittering hop with a mixture of all three across the late boil addition and hopstand and it worked great.

Good luck, be interested to hear how close you can get to the original, it's a cracking beer!

Isn't Celeia one of the hops in Tribute?
I also have started using Sladek in my Lagers and it seems to give a pleasant lemon/lime background taste. It is a excellent Lager hop IMO

I also have started using Sladek in my Lagers and it seems to give a pleasant lemon/lime background taste. It is a excellent Lager hop IMO

Yep, I think they do quite a big hop back / whirlpool with Celeia and Willamette.
I really like Celeia. Can't really describe the taste as such but it's one of the few hops I can detect and recognize specifically.

Just realised I mixed up two recipes in the above reply. The 'Bandit Bitter' was Celeia, Centennial and Amarillo (the Amarillo being a sub for Cascade as I'd ran out).
I used Sladek in a different recipe, a golden ale. However, I was a big fan of it. I get a sort of peachy aftertaste, really nice.
I don't brew lagers as a rule but can imagine it working really well.

Both fit the tasting note of Malt, floral and lemon hops, so would guess an equal mix should work. They both will have different bittering properties that might balance out. It'll allow movement in all directions on a rebrew, depending on whether you want soften the bitterness or make it more raspy. Likewise, with the level of aroma.
Yes, according to Malt Miller their current Ceileia is Alpah 2.6% whereas Centennial is 9.6%
I like the idea that keeping everything equal will allow easy recipe adjustments, cheers

I really like Celeia, so much that I grow my own: crops really well, have loads of it every year. I use it in many of my beers, it's great as a last-10min addition, flameout or dry hop.

I've rarely seen it used as a bittering hop as the AA is so low, so you'd need loads of it. So I reckon Centennial is the main bittering hop in FF.

Latest posts

Back