Upgrade to 100litre

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dronfieldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Eh Up,

things went well today with the planned upgrade of my kit. I bought a scrap 100 litre keg from my scrap cask matey in Batley some months ago with a view to upgrading my kit. I left it in the corner of the garage an decided that today was its turn to be converted.

Down to B&Q last week end and I bought:- 1 tank connector, a 15mm ball valve, a length of 15mm copper pipe, few elbows, a new stainless cutting disc for the trusty angle grinder.

On way back popped into Tescos, 2 cheapo kettles and a couple of cheap tank insulating jackets.

the top of this keg had already been damaged and had been rejected by Coors as losing pressure. Rather than it be weighed in I bought it for scrap value... :party:

I marked out where the top needed to be cut off and set off with the angle grinder, I then marked out where the tap needed to go and measured out where the kettle elements could be fitted.

Out with the QMAX cutters and the first bit was a doddle getting the hole cut for the tap. then, Jesus, cutting 40mm via QMAX into a 3mm thick stainless keg. drilled a 12 mm pilot hole like a knife through butter. Then tightened up the QMAX, sweat, bad language. In the end got the boot to it and they were cut.

Fitted the elements and the tap and then fabricated my manifold for a hop stopper. It was all done in time for me to pick the kids up from school at 3.30pm.

As soon as I got home filled it up with water to check if the elements worked, Tesco has changed their kettle elements and now the switch is built into the elements so brilliant for us hombrewers. No leaks!!!

All ready for a big brew tomorrow, then it all went "Pink Thong"....

My son suddenly chucks up his lunch, is running a temp and cannot go to school tomorrow, no brewday :roll: Still the kit is there for when I can get going, gives me time to commission my new 80 litre stainless FV

Would be interested to see your whole setup actually. I'm in the process of planning a 100l setup.

K

What type of drill bit did you use for the 12mm pilot hole, anything special?

kebabman said:

I got hold of a Dormer twist drill from the hardware store in Dronfield, cost a fortune but goes through stainless like a knife through butter.

They used to be made here in Sheffield but now are made in Brazil...

robbarwell said:
kebabman said:

I got hold of a Dormer twist drill from the hardware store in Dronfield, cost a fortune but goes through stainless like a knife through butter.

They used to be made here in Sheffield but now are made in Brazil...

I feel your pain, i worked for aven tools in Maltby some years ago, until the american's bought it out, made us all redundant over a period of a few years and shipped all the equipement out to "the land of the free and the brave" :x , load of overweight, arrogant drinkers of gnats urine. :grin:

Now i work for Boots, hope it's not same again :shock:

Back to the topic, would like to see some pic's as i have started to clear out the outhouse so i can build somthing similar.

Latest posts

Back