Tubby builds a hop stopper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
I was looking for a solution that would help reduce the dead space in my boiler whilst helping to filter out the hop pellets that I am using more of. So after trawling the forum and the rest of the web I have built this.
DSC00334.jpg

This is how I did it if anyone wants to give it a go :wha:

I bought two sheets of THIS stainless mesh.
DSC00322.jpg

I placed the two sheets of mesh one on top of the other, then using a steel straight edge I created a 5mm fold
DSC00323.jpg

Which I then crimped with pliers
DSC00325.jpg

This was continued along both long edges and one short edge.
I then folded these edges again
DSC00328.jpg

To create a mesh pocket
DSC00330.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the next step :oops: I cut a 25mm deep strip off of the open short end leaving a 20mm tail to attach the scavenger pipe to.
The scavenger pipe was made up of a long piece of 15mm copper tube cut to size, a straight connector, an elbow and a short length of 15mm pipe castellated on the end.
DSC00327.jpg

This was inserted into the pocket and using Stainless Steel Hose clips from HERE fastened to the pocket
DSC00333.jpg

Here you can see the inlet of the scavenger pipe inside the mesh pocket
DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

I'll find out on Sunday if it works :pray:

It's great TS :thumb: The one that I made let me down this week :cry: I left a small hole where the copper pipe bends back on itself to leave the Kettle. A couple of Hop Flower Heads got through the hole in the SS mesh and into my Heat Exchanger and then clogged the manifold up whilst recirculating back into the Kettle :cry:
I see that you have fitted a Hose Clip onto your SS Mesh which should prevent that from happening to yours :hmm:

Well Done Mate - Good luck with it :thumb:

Sorry to hear about yours highwayman :(
I have sealed everything as much as possible so hopefully nothing will get through :pray:
My only concern is that with the fine mesh, it may clog with hops and break material. But as I am relying on gravity only it shouldn't compact too much :pray:
It will be getting the mother of all tests though I intend to use it for the first time on a barley wine with 100 IBU :grin:

Tubby, please could you explain in more detail the part that you forgot to take pictures of?

I'm just about to make one of these strainers myself and I cannot work out how you have gotten the fit over the scavenger pipe so snug and neat.

Thanks in advance :D

Mines similar to this, the only problem with mine is getting stuff inside the pocket out - you get little bits of hop stuck from time to time.

markp said:
Tubby, please could you explain in more detail the part that you forgot to take pictures of?

I'm just about to make one of these strainers myself and I cannot work out how you have gotten the fit over the scavenger pipe so snug and neat.

Thanks in advance :D
Err not easily no :lol:
If you look at the pictures where the scavenger pipe has gone in you can hopefully see the 30mm by 25mm tail that was left that was folded around the scavenger pipe ad secured with the jubilee clip.

Lurch said:
Mines similar to this, the only problem with mine is getting stuff inside the pocket out - you get little bits of hop stuck from time to time.
I clean mine with oxyclean and if that doesn't fully clean it, hang it to dry and then shake out any remaining dust :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
Err not easily no :lol:

Hahahahaha :lol:

I think I've sorted it now tubby, thanks.
Well, not I.....have to admit that I had to get SHMBO to decipher it :oops:

Cheers tubby......if I can get wort as bright as yours I'll be well chuffed.

Just waiting for a stainless jubilee clip to arrive now and hopefully we'll give it a whirl at the weekend - first time using pellets on a 'Proper Job' style ale.

Thanks again :D

Latest posts

Back