Treacle Stout - 17Nov08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Reaction score
Second time round for this one, using my recipe loosely based on Buzz's Chocolate Treacle Stout:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.70 %
0.40 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.30 kg Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
26.00 gm Fuggles [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
26.00 gm Target [9.00 %] (90 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
0.25 kg Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 4.63 %
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale
Got a different brew buddy today as Ben is seeing his neurosurgeon this afternoon :shock:
Anyway so far so good. Mash on at 3:30.

I can't claim the original recipe to be my own but I'm glad yours went down well. I brewed another lot last week too. Hope it all goes well :cheers:

Boiling away in the Electrim - gave the element a very thorough clean beforehand and fingers crossed it holds up...

Thanks, all went very smoothly.
The only slight cock-up was I noticed as the first runnings were going into the boiler I hadn't put the hop strainer in. Fortunately I spotted that just in time.
Anyway it's fermenting away vigourously :thumb:

Pleased it went well Ian :thumb: . Is this a keeper or can you drink it after a short while :?:

Oooh hop strainers and boilers, the last time I did that I remembered just as I had 60L in the boiler at 90c :shock: - not fun!

Glad you had a gudden Ian :thumb:

Kingfisher said:
Pleased it went well Ian :thumb: . Is this a keeper or can you drink it after a short while :?:
Taste-wise I found the last batch very drinkable after about 10 days in the bottle (I really have to learn to be more patient :roll: ). There was absolutely no head and not a great deal of carbonation at that point though. Now (after nearly 2 months) it does have more of a head, and the flavour has mellowed - seems to be getting slightly sweeter. I reckon it tastes a bit like a cross between Old Peculier and Guinness, both of which I like :cheers:

Back