Timing for fermentation with work/holiday...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett74

Regular.
Reaction score
I have my 4 first kits and equipement waiting at home for me and am in a bit of indecision about when to start due to my work situation. When I get home I have 3 weeks off and then I head back to work for 2 or maybe 3 weeks.
The kits are Bulldogs Evil Dog, Raja's Revenge, Strawberry Pale Ale and Mangrove Jack's NZ Hopped Pilsener.
I have 2 ideas.

Idea #1

Put all 4 on as soon as I get home (3 weeks Home), hopefully be able to bottle the Pilsener before I go back to work and Rack the 3 Bulldog Kits to secondary ferment for the 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks while I am away and then bottle them when I get home. I don't think they will be ready for bottling before I leave.

Idea #2

Put on the Pilsener straight away and wait until just before I leave to put the 3 Bulldog Kits on, they can get going while I am away for 2 or 3 weeks and I can see what is going on when I get back, my wife can look in on them for me to make sure they are not going wild...

This is my first attempt ever at brewing anything so I am a real greenhorn here...any advice would be great.
Have already received such help with my first post, cool forum....

Three weeks should be enough time to get them into the bottles. Although bottling 4 batches is a bit of a mammoth task. 2 weeks fermentation should be fine in most cases.

Then they have a few weeks to carbonate and they will be spot on when you get back.

I don't think you need to wait and stagger them if you are confident you will have enough time to do the brewing and bottling in your first 3 weeks.

Bottling will be the most time consuming bit.

Three weeks should be enough time to get them into the bottles. Although bottling 4 batches is a bit of a mammoth task. 2 weeks fermentation should be fine in most cases.

Then they have a few weeks to carbonate and they will be spot on when you get back.

I don't think you need to wait and stagger them if you are confident you will have enough time to do the brewing and bottling in your first 3 weeks.

Bottling will be the most time consuming bit.

If they are not ready yet and I rack them to a secondary FV will they handle 3 weeks more in there while I am away before bottling?

Latest posts

Back