the book how to brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuggitmv

Regular.
Reaction score
has anyone read the book how to brew,as was thinking of buying it,they bang on about it in the u.s.a but thats what makes me think mmmmm! lol

I have read the web version, and some of the things in there are slightly inaccurate/out of date. However, it is a jolly good read, and there is now a 3rd edition out, which John Palmer says is much better and is bang up to date. I really like John Palmer, and I've been listening to quite a few of his podcasts he's done with Jamil Zainashaff (MrMalty).

I'm definitely going to buy a copy when I get a chance. It might be written from an American standpoint, but I think the different brewing cultures are coming together a bit more now by the sounds of it.

Checkout the online version http://www.howtobrew.com ;)

I have the 1st edition of How to Brew and it is truly awful, in fact it is so bad I have never been tempted to buy the 3rd edition. Apart from the fact that all the measurements are in US, it drags the user from Kits to Extract and sort of on toward All Grain in a almost zealot like attitude. There are (were) many inaccuracies and momilies that really had very little basis in actual brewing,

Brew Your Own Real Ale by Graham Wheeler, is a much better book, and Home brewing is even better (and being re published this year or so rumour has it)

Just to give the opposite point of view, I have the latest version and think it is rather good. You do need to understand the American perspective and it does have some occasional daft bits but it has enough explanation of why you do things as well as how you do things to satisfy those who like that sort of thing.

yeah i agree, i have the 3rd edition too, i must admit its hard to start with because of all the imperial measurements, and there is some stupid american bits, but it is great for reference when you have a question and there is a graph for everything :ugeek: , saying that though i havnt read the other books in this argument so my point isnt quite so valid :oops: . i have just finished YEAST by chris white yeaterday and i think that is my favorite book ever (even better than the hungry caterpillar) :lol:

Yeast by CW JZ is a great Homebrewing book, i should read a basics book first but yeast is eyeopening to an experienced brewer.

Soon to be followed up by "Water" next year I hear.

UP

Really?? Cool, I'm excited for that. I'm not an experienced brewer and YEAST covers all the simple stuff for me aswell advanced, a must read for keen brewers id say. Radical brewing is also interesting for a read. Think I need to buy those books previously mentioned as I need another book ( I'm hooked on beer books) :ugeek:

Don't you guys think that "it's horses for courses" when it comes to beer books?.
I've heard all the good & bad points about How to brew...now do I buy it?..don't know..do I what to waste money on it?...It maybe that you get hold of a book and think that it's the dogs nuts..but your mate thinks "****"
I've just got "Brew like a monk" this week from Amazon as like a lot of guys I do like the Trappist beers...but I only sent for it after taking a look at the guys own site which gives you an insight into his work.

I think "how to brew" is quite a good book. Although its a bit American in places, its very in depth and covers some great chapters on ingredients and what's going on in the mash tun.

GW's book is brilliant for the beginner as its much simpler but that makes it a little basic for the more advanced brewer, something that John Palmer then covers. The recipes are also great and modern but they are quite similar when you compare them.

Yeast by Chris White is a great book and well worth a read, especially for those wanting to expand there knowledge once they have mastered the basic's of mashing/sparge etc.

I for one was obsessed with recipes, mash temps etc but my focus has definately changed towards what's happening in the fermenter since reading that book and my beer is all the better for it!!

I'm now reading "the biotechnology of malting and brewing" by J S Hough which was recommended to me. Quite an old book but seems quite in depth without being too mind blowing.

Latest posts

Back