The annual wetherspoons spring world beer festival

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
well its that time of year again and for £2.05 a pint you have to go and try them which I did today,had 2 pints but using the 1/3rd glasses to go right across our local wethers pumps.so had 6 samples of different ales I wont bore you with the also rans but two of them were quite sublime and to be recommended
first the Mahseer IPA at 5% and full of those citrus tasting notes and strangely enough not in the list of the 30 craft ales...well recommended
secondly the St Louis continental IPA.coming in at a magnificent 6.5% and worth every penny and AIPA lovers should really try this you wont be disappointed trust me
going in again on Monday so there will be more new brews on,i raise a glass to Tim Martin for his campaign to give us great ales at really good prices

I'm assuming this is only in wetherspoons branded bars and not all wetherspoons owned bars? We have a William Rufus here and don't remember seeing any POS for any sort of beer festival.

Well it's on in the Wetherspoons in Redcar had a Butcombe Brewery Union which was ok.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tried a couple down here in surrey. One a decent brew,Moorhouse's Springwatch and another which i found pretty mundane and that was bagby Back Garden,some of my homebrew has more taste.

Just got back from another lunchtime quick session and had 3 Corker's
First backyard ales jackalope
Second,Saltaires new world red and lastly
Brouwerij'Tij Flink,all marvellous citra hoppy beers that I rated 5/5 but Saltaires I give 6/5 lol

@chub1 I had a pint of Bagby Back Garden on Saturday evening. I thought you were being rather polite In calling It mundane I'd be more inclined to call It p1ss water It was dreadfull. I had a job to finnish the pint.

@chub1 I had a pint of Bagby Back Garden on Saturday evening. I thought you were being rather polite In calling It mundane I'd be more inclined to call It p1ss water It was dreadfull. I had a job to finnish the pint.
Mmmmmmmm yup i was really dissapointed in it,more so as i was expecting more from a USA brewer.

Had another lunchtime saunter up the local wether's again today and had a few superb ales,the first being bodebrowns Brazilian Burton pale ale and mordues centennial golden ale both of which I rated 5/5 and with the Greene king Abbot's confession weighing in at a mighty 8.5% ABV settling in their cellar waiting to make its appearance I can see another visit shortly on the horizon.they really have had some corkers on this spring festival

Last night I went out with the wife to our local Wetherspoon's, the Pump House. I tried Elgood's Thin Ice (okayish, 4.7%) to start with. The wife had halves of Moorhouse's Spring Watch (not bad, 3.9%) and Exmoor Urban Fox (quite nice, 4.2%) of which I both had to test to make sure they were suitable for drinking!:wink:. My favourite of the night was Saltaire New World Red (Excellent, 5.2%). A good excuse to use up the last couple of CAMRA vouchers I had that that run out this month.:drink:

Last night I went out with the wife to our local Wetherspoon's, the Pump House. I tried Elgood's Thin Ice (okayish, 4.7%) to start with. The wife had halves of Moorhouse's Spring Watch (not bad, 3.9%) and Exmoor Urban Fox (quite nice, 4.2%) of which I both had to test to make sure they were suitable for drinking!:wink:. My favourite of the night was Saltaire New World Red (Excellent, 5.2%). A good excuse to use up the last couple of CAMRA vouchers I had that that run out this month.:drink:
Yeah that new world red was one of my favourites, the biggest disappointment for me was hook Norton's Amarillo gold as I'm a big fan of that hop and it was hardly evident to the point you would have said it had never seen an Amarillo hop at all

I've tried a few too over the last week, a real mixed bag. First was the Daleside Thai.P.A which was really dominated by a blast of lemongrass, for me it was a novelty beer and was glad I'd only got a third pint taster. Next was a Mauldons Blackberry Porter which was an OK porter with a syrupy blackberry cordial finish. Same as the previous beer it was novelty and I couldn't drink a full pint. Finally I was rewarded with a good beer, the Saltaire New World Red which was good; firm bitterness and a decent hop presence.
My second visit was equally mixed. The Shepherd Neame Whitstable Bay Red IPA was decent but lacked aroma and was a touch bland considering the promising description. The Robinsons Trooper Red'N'Black was not great, spoilt by fusel alcohol notes and a lack of freshness despite being fresh on tap but had an interesting licorice character. Slightly savoury meaty thing going on too. Not my favourite! Finally the St Louis Continental IPA was excellent with plenty of hop aroma, a nice clean yet fruity hoppy flavour. A slight caramel sweetness gave it some body and balanced the hops. Was more of an amber ale than IPA if I'm being picky.

So a mixed bunch at my local Wetherspoons but was good to try new beers and to confirm that my home brew can be better than most of the beers I tried.

Yeah that new world red was one of my favourites, the biggest disappointment for me was hook Norton's Amarillo gold as I'm a big fan of that hop and it was hardly evident to the point you would have said it had never seen an Amarillo hop at all
Mmmmmmm,one i wanted to try but have not been able to get to the pub:doh:,oh well not missed much then!.

paid my final visit to the festival today a day after it officially finished in the hunt for the greene king Abbots confession but alas it was sold out over the weekend in double quick time I was informed:sulk: but on the bright side they had another 6 new ones on so in the name of research I had to boldly go with them all and the first one I had was
,mauldonds blackberry porter,superb 5/5.. secondly elgoods thin ice,superb 5/5*.. thirdly whistable bay red IPA a disappointing 3/5... fourthly daleside Thai.PA 4.5/5.. fithly Adams Regatta 4.5/5 and lastly Birrficio MC_77 MIld the gap 4/5 which is a high mark for me being a mild what I never drink.All in all the spring festival was a great experience and out of a supposedly 30 craft ales have sampled 19 of them which is good going for my local spoons and I thank Tim Martin for his continuing efforts to raise the profile of great beers at a great price.Missing it already and looking forward to the 2018 festival
oh and all of them at the cracking price of �£1.85 a pint due to 20p off with the Monday club:drink:

Great reporting, especially putting your liver on the line, in the name of academic research.

Back