Taps on fv

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
It has occured to me thatif i fit a tap to my fv, i wont have as much trouble racking into bottles.

at work we sell white (food grade) taps for 5,10,25ltr water containers, these dont come with backnuts and are very stiff.

We also sell waterbutt taps, which are easyier to turn, have a backnut but to the best of my limited knowledge, are not food grade plastic.

Is this likely to harm my brew/me!?

We also sell waterbutt taps, which are easyier to turn, have a backnut but to the best of my limited knowledge, are not food grade plastic.
A lot of water butt type taps are just black versions of maroon HB taps. Also, water butt taps are usually designed for vegatable feed, and as such, are usually food safe.
Have a look here, it may look familiar. I use this tap on my fv's.

Cheers V! That is exactly the same ones as we have at work (sankey).

Hmmm... now to make a hole.... any advice as to how high and what diameter before i ruin my only spare fv.... :?

Wait till you get the tap then measure the size whole you need. :thumb: Fit it so the tap wont hit the floor when FV is sat on the floor. :thumb:

i put taps on both of mine,
makes racking and bottling a lot easier, you can just crack them open and trickle when filling bottles, i do this with wine but may be difficult with fiizzy brews...

DSCF4772.jpg

Thanks guys, i hadnt even thought about making it high enough to not hit the floor, i was just thinking about avoiding the sediment!! I could have fitted it too low, that would have been.. :oops:

I dont know why i havnt done this before, all those afternoons struggling with tubes!!

Hi Cptn
I think the little bottler advice was good ... they're only a fiver and also fantastic when bottling (they come with their own tap).

Also - I wouldn't recommend using a tap when racking from first fv. You'll be drawing off beer right above the sdiment and carrying a fair bit of it into your secondary or bottles. SO4 leaves quite a nice tightly packed sediment, but some other yeasts tend to get stirred up easily. Use a syphon and 'lift' it off.

Good luck and hope you get your taps sorted :cheers:

Sorry!
I tried to do that with a brew many years ago and I thought that I'd only face the problem when I got toward the bottom. I didn't, I had it as soon as I started to run it off.

Latest posts

Back