Syphon effect on boiler, where have I gone wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindiv8

Reaction score
OK, started plumbing on boiler. :) No visable leaks, but will only empty to just below tank connector. :cry: What have I done wrong? :oops:

2011-01-08_16-25-54_118.jpg

2011-01-08_16-26-02_726.jpg

PS looks like i've got the hang of the photo's too :eek:

it wont empty any lower because your design is not laying flat on the bottom of your boiler looks like you drilled hole a bit high. Water will only escape to the height of the hole

Cover the T-joint with your fingers, open the tap and blow in it.....then get someone with a camera to take a pic of you :lol:

Sorry... to see it the solder joints are water tight....90degree joint may not be soldered all the way around :hmm:

Looks OK. Outfall is lower than the boiler base. Only thing I can see is if your getting air in at the elbow joint in the boiler or you just haven't used enough water to get the syphon effect working.

Hmmm.. gave the boiler a tip forward, and let it rest back. It emptied all the way. Airlock? Is that because I haven't got enough drop on the exit pipe after ball valve?

Is it okay then now Vin?

When I drain my boiler I have the down pipe about 4inches above the FV

Sean_Mc said:
Cover the T-joint with your fingers, open the tap and blow in it.....then get someone with a camera to take a pic of you :lol:

Sorry... to see it the solder joints are water tight....90degree joint may not be soldered all the way around :hmm:

Do I do that before or after the boil?

Sean_Mc said:
Is it okay then now Vin?

Sean_Mc said:
Is it okay then now Vin?

I think it, will brim it tomorrow and try again. Getting ready to go to the Sheffield tap now :drink:

The other thing that may cause an issue is that you are getting air going back up the 15mm pipe breaking the syphon at the tap . . . one trick I learned before I started pumping from the boiler is to reduce the diameter about 1" below the tap (on the outside), using a 15-10 or 15-8 reducer and then a length of poly tube. . . . all the air is removed from the tube (especially when the boiler is full) and it doesn't run back up the tube to break the syphon.

Yay! boiler does drain, didn't fill it enough for the siphon to start :oops: Total dead space 1.1L I think that's acceptable for a 30l boiler? :party:

Latest posts

Back