Summer Lightning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joc9410

Reaction score
Brewed this today
4.9kg Maris Otter
Challenger and EGK hops
1 hour mash and 10 min mash out
90 min boil
46g of challenger at 90 min
15g oh EKG at 10 min
Was meant to be 11g EKG at flame out which I managed to forget 🙄
Just wondering if to dry hop after 7 days with the remaining hops instead?
Would that make it too hoppy or would it work?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Having brewed summer lightning last year with the final flame out addition I quite enjoyed this Wheeler recipe. However, I'd say missing the final addition won't detract from the beer too much. My version of Summer Lightning used a mix of EKG and Styrian Goldings as I'd run out of EKG.

This march I brewed a much lesser hopped Burton Bridge Golden Delicious from the same book and while not as bitter, the 10 minute addition of 9g Styrian Goldings, less than I'd used in Summer Lightning, was somehow more filled with flavour and aroma.

Both recipes have a similar 10 minute hop addition but only the summer lightning had the final addition at 0 mins. I enjoyed the Burton Bridge more because the bitterness was lower and let the flavour come through.

Don't worry, it'll be fine. If you want to do a light dry hop it will still be good.

What are the thoughts on dry hopping this with EKG?

I used EKG additions at 60 minutes and at 80C after flame out. Not sure whether to go with a dry hop or leave it without. I've never had the original beer

I didn't dry hop after forgetting late additions. It's conditioning just now but had a quick taste at weekend. Tastes pleasant enough but I expected it to be hoppier but as I forgot late addition this may be why.
I would leave it and see how it turns out unless you really prefer hoppier beers.

Back