storage box mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theflyingric

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Im new here. I have been using kits for a couple of years as I have never had the funds for AG. but I cant resist any more so Ive been researching for the cheapest way in to AG. I have just bought a plastic storage box with PP stamped on the bottom and symbols which a presume mean food grade. I have loads of spare insulation material around. do you think I could make a mash tun out of this? will the plastic be safe?
Thanks
Ric

The cheapest way to do AG is BIAB. Rather than a mash tun you use a voile bag (or just a sheet) in your boiler to hold the grain while mashing. Also saves the expense and time of sparging. I also use a no-chill cube rather than a chiller so that saves more money.

Also worth keeping in mind that bigger beers for keeping will almost certainly benefit from proper mashing ratios and chilling methods, smaller beer to be drunk more quickly will probably not see the extra effort in the time they're consumed :drink:

Latest posts

Back