stock pot mashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1964

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can you make an all grain brew using a 20 litre stock pot. I think you would boil grains strain into another pot return to boil etc. Maybe it would be difficult to maintain the temperature etc can anyone advise please...... Thanks

Hi Mark
When I began I used a 19 ltr pot for partial mash which worked quite well. I'm not sure how you would use it for mashing an AG though as you'd find it very difficult to maintain a temperature. I suppose it is just possible, but temperature in mashing is critical. I'd look at getting a thermobox so you could heat the water to the right temp in your stock pot and pour it into the thermobox - holding the right temp. It could then be returned to the pot for boiling.

I have used those cheap but thin 20 litre stock pots for a 15 litre boil, but you don't boil the grain. For mashing it needs to be kept at a steady temperature around 65-70°C for 60-90 minutes, so your easiest option is a ten quid picnic coolbox.

I'd also recommend getting a thermo box, bet you'd pick one up cheap this time of year or try charity shops.

Latest posts

Back