Steriising bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Localfisher

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

If my readings are the same for my FG tomorrow i shall be bottling!! So excited for this next stage.

Whats the best way to sterilise my bottles, i dont have big buckets, i do have sterilising powder and i do have a dishwasher, whats the best, easiest way for me to do this??

Thank you

Thank you for the replies, i havent got access to any of that, so all i need is an efficient way to sterilise the bottles

Well you did ask!

And I don't know what you'd do with the dishwasher.

You need to soak your bottles in a large container of your chlorine based sanitiser for a while, rinse them out a few times, then precariously balance them upside down to drain.

I'm unaware of a quicker or easier method without no rinse sanitisers or other purpose made equipment.

This is why cornies are so popular! :D

I bought a dishwasher off eBay for twenty quid it's the way ahead for sterilising bottles

Course it works put steriliser in the dispenser the dishwasher washes and sterilises the bottles plus the temperature will steralise the bottles, never had a problem and you can get forty bottles done in one hit

If all bottles are rinsed out and clean before going in the dishwasher it works a treat all my brews are nectar works every time

to drain my bottles I took a piece of plywood big enough to fit over the sink and drilled 32mm holes in it :thumb:

Growler said:
to drain my bottles I took a piece of plywood big enough to fit over the sink and drilled 32mm holes in it :thumb:

+1 for this

mate got a piece of off cut from the sheds, cut lots of holes, glossed it, few stainless screws to raise it up and job done

rinse as i use the bottles, then wash on day to be used, then videne and fill ;)

Cant see how a dishwasher can work TBH - it cant fill the bottles, maybe ok for sterilising the outside but just cant see it spraying enough inside them etc - anyone else use this method?
PS swimbo wouldnt like it - i got 100 plus beer bottles. :cheers:

I generally use a bucket and fill the bottles to the top, and stand them in the bath then rinse out when ready.

Although, and I forget who on here said, "I fill the bath with sterilising solution" - so that's what I'll be doing next time.

As for the dishwasher, I am reading the book by John Palmer - and there is a section in there on sterilisation by dishwasher. I read that it's not reliable, because you can't be confident that the water gets into all the bottles - personally I'm not willing to risk a brew for the sake of sacrificing a bit of time to do each bottle individually.

Each to their own.

I use VWP, but I also just bought some Asda sterilising solution that is good for babies bottles (it's been a while since those days - but I believe it will do the same job) - 80p for 1.5L I think.

I have been using these bakers trays instead of bottling tree. turn the tray upside down then sit the bottles upside down in holes to drain.

BIDIFU_Bread_Trays.jpg

Is it not plausible to clean and sterilise the bottles in a hot bath (assuming that the missus isn't using it at the time)?

Latest posts

Back