Starter done?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Trails

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've my first attempt at a liquid yeast starter on a stir plate for the past 27 hours. Would it be safe enough to remove and chill for tomorrow at this stage? It's currently milky looking, or a lot milkier looking than it was yesterday morning anyway. Thanks.

I reckon to allow 3 days to make a starter from a liquid yeast.
There are those that say pitch at high krausen, but if it hasn't finished fermenting out then the cell count possibly hasn't yet reached pitch rate yet.
It also depends on if you have overbuilt the starter to keep some back for next time or not?

By tomorrow the cell count should be high enough to pitch but you may not have time to refrigerate and let it settle and may be better just chucking the lot in.

This is how I basically do a starter HERE

I reckon to allow 3 days to make a starter from a liquid yeast.
There are those that say pitch at high krausen, but if it hasn't finished fermenting out then the cell count possibly hasn't yet reached pitch rate yet.
It also depends on if you have overbuilt the starter to keep some back for next time or not?

By tomorrow the cell count should be high enough to pitch but you may not have time to refrigerate and let it settle and may be better just chucking the lot in.

This is how I basically do a starter HERE
Cheers, I might leave it running until tomorrow so and chuck in the lot. I think it was the brewers friend calculator I went with in the end which was a bigger one, it was way different to brewfather in how much it said I'd need.

Actually, after watching that Dr. Hans video I think I'll leave it running and see if it flocculates out like his did, just out of interest, and then use it next weekend instead.

Actually, after watching that Dr. Hans video I think I'll leave it running and see if it flocculates out like his did, just out of interest, and then use it next weekend instead.
I let it ferment on the stir plate for 18 hrs and then turn it off and let it finish its ferment for another day, then if I have overbuilt it I shake it up and pour 500mls of the 1.5 litres I made into a sterilised mason jar. Then both go in the fridge.
Next day I brew and decant the beer off the starter before pitching into the FV
The mason jar can then be treated as a new batch of yeast for the next brew.

I think in the end this pack must have been dead on arrival. Let it settle out and all and ended up with a very small amount in the end, I'd say it was the amount in the pack to begin with.

I think in the end this pack must have been dead on arrival. Let it settle out and all and ended up with a very small amount in the end, I'd say it was the amount in the pack to begin with.
If it worked you should have seen some krausen (foam) on the top once it kicked off.

If it worked you should have seen some krausen (foam) on the top once it kicked off.
I was hoping I just maybe didn't see it overnight, but this is what I ended up with. Slim pickings (that's a 600ml fermzilla jar it's in).

1000024013.jpg

Im trying to work out from the photo whats what, presumably the creamy colour is all yeast but whats the brown band?
Hard tp tell the quantity but that may well be enough to pitch

Back