Started a WOW..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewWoo

Reaction score
Started a WOW off with a Apple & Raspberry 1L, and 1L of RGJ, added 1KG of a sugar and the usual additives.

Took a hydrometer reading and it was at 1.20, is this normal?

I think you need to take another reading......1.20 would give 118% abv.

Usually WoW hydrometer readings range from 1.080 to 1.100.

This might help -

hydrometer.jpg

It was definitely at 1.20. I think I may have bought a defective hydrometer. I'll get a new one, they're cheap enough.

I believe so, I really should get my eyes tested! I'll check it with water to see if it's off.

Sorry to ask again but did you make it up to 5L with cooled boiled water?

The reason I ask is that if you leave the water out you would get about 1.2 as the S.G.

Assuming that the juices are both about 100g sugar per litre, so 200g in that, plus the added sugar gives 1.2kg in only 2L. That is 600g per litre of liquid(if you don't add any water) and we know 265g per litre adds about 0.1 to the S.G. So without adding water you'd have something like S.G.=1.22 which is what you said you measured. Just a thought.

It's It's currently at about 4.5L currently, I top it up after a couple of days after the initial rush of activity.

And the hydrometer is faulty, it's got a small crack in it. I dropped it awhile ago, but as it was in it's plastic casing I didn't think it had damaged it. Water / fluid is seeping into it.

Sorry to ask again but did you make it up to 5L with cooled boiled water?

When i started making wine i used to top up with cooled boiled water, then when i made my first 5 gallon brew i just used tap water to fill the bucket so boiling the water is not really necessary, i have read that it helps if your water is not the best, fortunately ours is fine.

I see. But you do still treat it with a Camden tablet to get rid of the Chlorine etc. right?

jkp said:
I see. But you do still treat it with a Camden tablet to get rid of the Chlorine etc. right?

I rack onto a crushed campden in the DJ when i am going to degas, stabilise and clear the wine, i don't add campden when making my 30 bottle kit.

Latest posts

Back