Spring Thing Bacon Beer Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsbeer

Reaction score
Well I finally got my butt into gear and started my Bacon Butty Beer for the Spring Thing. I know it sounds rather daft, but it's to add a bit of fun for the weekend. Should go down well with the real bacon butties being fried up by Falafael. I am making a 5lt brew with added bacon. 1 rasher in the boil and one rasher in the FV post boil. Both rashers are going to have the fat trimmed and then dry fried to get rid of any fat, although I have added some wheat malt into the mix to try and counteract any fat residue. The base beer will be a mix of pale, black and crystal with fuggles in the boil only. According to Beersmith it should come out at about 5% and be a nice dark beer.

I'm not used to doing only 5lt so the brew pots are kitchen pans and a small cooler for the mash tun. A bit like back to basics really.
:thumb: :party: :cheers:

Pics to follow. It's now mashing till about 5.15pm then batch sparge to give me about 8lt pre boil.

All done and now happily tucked away in the fermenter. Here are the obligatory pics which include a before and after of the bacon. OH said it was the best smelling brew yet. SG was 1.054 Yeast Safale S04 Est ABV 5.8%

The grains
P3090014_zps341b32b4.jpg

The Bacon
P3090021_zpsc59f9f92.jpg

The mini cooler mash tun
P3090019_zpscd7de2bf.jpg

The hops and bacon waiting for the boil to start
P3090023_zpsdb7482b2.jpg

The bacon going in for the boil
P3090026_zps943f1bad.jpg

The rolling boil
P3090027_zps06627476.jpg

Cooling (I used my immersion cooler)
P3090028_zpscdf9c914.jpg

Transfer to FV
P3090030_zps631e47aa.jpg

The money shot
P3090031_zps126796e9.jpg

Ready for the yeast. The bottle is to top up later
P3090033_zps53a4757a.jpg

And finally the cooked bacon. Which tasted nice.
P3090034_zps38ccd168.jpg

Now I just have to wait and see if it turns out okay. A wee sample of the wort tasted good and had a touch of bacon. :thumb:

:lol: Opps forgot about them. Although the name kind of gives it away. Now all I need is a label. With a pig on it. :grin: Pigsbeer by Bobsbeer :hmm:

bobsbeer said:
:lol: Opps forgot about them. Although the name kind of gives it away. Now all I need is a label. With a pig on it. :grin:

Don't tell them, people like surprises.

In my head, if YOU ate the bacon then its vegetarian friendly. You can't both eat the bacon that's against all the laws of physics!!

Got it bottled today. :thumb: Ended up with 8 bottles at 5.4%. FG 1.016. Batch primed and ended up with 1/2 bottle for samplers. :clap: Tastes great and the bacon is coming through without overpowering the beer. Now to let it condition for the Spring Thing Bacon Butty Fest on Saturday and Sunday if there is any left. :grin: I'll post a pic once I've put labels on. :thumb:

Bob, that sounds like a good breakfast beer. Slip the judges a couple in the morning of the contest :D

It's turned out good enough to put into the comp although I'm not sure what the judges might think when the bacon comes through. :hmm: It's not a session beer but it seems a shame to put 3 bottles in the comp only leaving 5 for breakfast. :grin:

Latest posts

Back