Some advice needed on bottling my Elderflower Wine please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura Reid

Reaction score
My elderflower wine is nearing 1.003 and I'd like to bottle it soon. I want some fizz, so I have champagne bottles ready. I'm looking at 21 litres
My questions are:
1. How much sugar should I add to each 750ml bottle to prime them?
2. How long until they are fizzy (wine already tastes good)?
3. I need to clear the wine first as it is cloudy. I have Young's Wine Finings with Kieselsol and Chitosan. Will this kill any remaining yeast because I'm pretty sure I need some residual yeast when I bottle it into primed bottles.

Thanks in advance. Really want to get this right.

Give the wine another week or so and then test the FG to see that it hasn't gone any lower.
I rounded tsp (5-6g) per bottle. Champagne is carbonated more than beer.
Don't use the finings. As soon as the wine is almost clear naturally, bottle it up cork it and let it clear in the bottle.
Just be careful when pouring it not to disturb the sediment.

Great, thank you. Hope you don't mind further questions...
1. So when looking for a stable SG - i.e. it's not moving anymore, I'm assuming that means the yeast is dead. In which case - how does it create CO2 in the bottles with the additionof sugar. Wouldn't there have to be some live yeast?
2. Do finings kill the yeast, is that why I shouldn't use them before bottling?

Great, thank you. Hope you don't mind further questions...
1. So when looking for a stable SG - i.e. it's not moving anymore, I'm assuming that means the yeast is dead. In which case - how does it create CO2 in the bottles with the additionof sugar. Wouldn't there have to be some live yeast?
2. Do finings kill the yeast, is that why I shouldn't use them before bottling?
No. yeast is not dead. When it runs out of sugar (food) it goes dormant. Adding sugar at a later date will waken it up again.
Finings isn't designed to kill use, but some additive are designed to kill the yeast so that you can back-sweeten it without danger of the bottles bursting. But that only works with still wines. I think the product you mention, above, falls into the former category. I'd bottle when it's clear, but not necessarily bright. In any case, there will always be some yeast in suspension.
I find that using finings with bottled beer prevents the yeast from compacting solidly on the bottom of the bottle. While the beer may be crystal clear, opening the bottle causes the effervescence to disturb the sediment and I get a hazy pint. Finings, in my opinion, is better reserved for still wines.
But there are more experienced wine-makers than me on this forum and they may disagree.

No. yeast is not dead. When it runs out of sugar (food) it goes dormant. Adding sugar at a later date will waken it up again.
Finings isn't designed to kill use, but some additive are designed to kill the yeast so that you can back-sweeten it without danger of the bottles bursting. But that only works with still wines. I think the product you mention, above, falls into the former category. I'd bottle when it's clear, but not necessarily bright. In any case, there will always be some yeast in suspension.
I find that using finings with bottled beer prevents the yeast from compacting solidly on the bottom of the bottle. While the beer may be crystal clear, opening the bottle causes the effervescence to disturb the sediment and I get a hazy pint. Finings, in my opinion, is better reserved for still wines.
But there are more experienced wine-makers than me on this forum and they may disagree.
I agree letting settle over time makes its more compact and less liable to move, for sparkling wine don't be afraid to let it settle for longer periods you will be amazed how long the yeast can come back from and if not sure then add a little ec-1118 with the priming sugar that will set it off for sure.
I have left ciders for 8 week and carbonated in the bottle fine, I leave 2 weeks in warm place to carb up then rest for a week or 2 then chill

.. And

It you are letting it settle anywhere keep the air out. Make sure it is topped up/off with a minimal air gap.
Yes, wine racked to settle out should be to the neck of the demijohn.
At least this high & preferably a bit more.
1000007895.jpg

Latest posts

Back