Sodastream refill set up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon1964

Regular.
Reaction score
Wondered if anyone using this to fill sodastream bottles from a pub size co2 cylinder.
I've seen the small brass type put this looks better as you can isolate the gas going in via the lever tap, and also has a pin attachment to work around the sodastream anti fill valve
Screenshot_20201118-171655.png

No experience of it I'm afraid, but this page seems to suggest that to do this you may need a CO2 cylinder with a dip tube (liquid out) rather then the more normal 'vapour out' type.
It suggests that if your cylinder does not have a dip tube then you may be able to turn it head down in order to get liquid CO2 out :eek:

I'm sure there are people using these adaptors (e.g. in the painballing community) but I'm not sure it's something I'd personally be in a hurry to try :-)

Wondered if anyone using this to fill sodastream bottles from a pub size co2 cylinder.
I've seen the small brass type put this looks better as you can isolate the gas going in via the lever tap, and also has a pin attachment to work around the sodastream anti fill valveView attachment 35848
I've been looking into this myself but as @The-Engineer-That-Brews says unless you're filling from a diptube tank (c02 Fire extinguisher) you will have to invert the tank and as mine is a 6.3kg I may give it a miss.

I've seen the small brass type put this looks better as you can isolate the gas going in via the lever tap, and also has a pin attachment to work around the sodastream anti fill valveView attachment 35848
Yes I've got one of those, and a 6.35kg CO2 cylinder without a diptube. I just attach the adapter, and turn the CO2 cylinder upside down. Obviously you have to be careful it doesn't fall over.

When you start filling you have to do it slowly to ensure the trip doesn't go, but otherwise I've had great success doing this.

I guess it depends how comfortable you are moving the cylinder around and securing it.

So made a collar for inverting cylinder.
Pine bed frame, 35mm thick, cut to size, clamped together to grip using m8 threaded bar. When inverted on workmate the centre of gravity is below clamp so bottom heavy so more stable.
In addition the workmate Jaws also clamp onto cylinder.
IMG_20201120_132211_9.jpg
IMG_20201120_132235_9.jpg
IMG_20201120_132211_9.jpg
IMG_20201120_132235_9.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_132722_0.jpg
    IMG_20201120_132722_0.jpg
    23.1 KB
Bought one of these from Amazon earlier this year although there's other suppliers especially on Ebay.

No problem to use, as others mention, you have to invert the donor cylinder in a safe manner and fill the sodastream bottle slowly. There's lots of "how-to" vids on Youtube etc. The Kegland video above gives a good explanation. Best to put the empty sodastream bottles in the freezer for a few hours before filling apparently.

All the cylinders meant for food grade CO2 have diptubes, it's the ones used for gas welding that haven't.

There's lots of scary stories about what might go wrong but if you're aware of the risks and manage it properly I don't think it's too great a problem.

sodastream.jpg

Off topic I know - but what size spanner for corney keg posts
I want to remove a beer out post to put a floating dip tube in

Are you sure about that?

That's what I was told by the chap from the gas supplier when I asked whether the Hobbyweld CO2 cylinder I bought had a a diptube and apparently all food grade gas is supplied thus. Non-foodgrade CO2 used for industrial processes are supplied in bottles without diptube bottles.

I only have his word of course, which could be a load of bollix as I've no experience myself.

I'm sure there'll be someone coming along soon to put the record straight ;)

Air Products beverage CO2 cylinders don’t appear to have a dip tube and have to be inverted for re-filling Sodastream cylinders.

I would find it useful to have a plastic moulding to fit between a Sodastream cylinder and a corny keg so the cylinder can be strapped securely to the keg without risking damage to the keg.. Does anyone know of a supplier?

Latest posts

Back