Small beer 🍻

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was inspired by a post from @Jim Brewster

I know a couple of people now, who want to brew, but have very limited space.

For me I think this is an ideal candidate for mash and fermentation in the same vessel.

This does work, but I wondered who's AIO (grainfather / zilla / klarstein etc) Would suit this idea best?

I thought the problem was more with electric supply? A fermentation bucket isn’t much space. Easiest option is a kettle designed for direct fire like some of the Brewtech ones?

Maischfest is 1500w/3000w.
You don't actually need to do the 3000w bit. It's capable of boiling at 1500w.
My brewzilla will just about boil on 1500 in summer only, so when i brew i use both to get to mash temp then i turn the 1500 off and use the 900 for mashing with very good results using recirculation

My brewzilla will just about boil on 1500 in summer only, so when i brew i use both to get to mash temp then i turn the 1500 off and use the 900 for mashing with very good results using recirculation

Pleased you posted that. Was thinking there must be a watts vs volume question looming.

Is that for a 23l batch?

Well the question came about as I'm semi living on a narrowboat. In reality I could brew very similar to how I've always done it, with just a few tweaks. Space is a touch more limited than a house but there is enough... same goes for water gas and electric. I think it's all doable though, with a 2kW inverter for mains AC supplied by multiple batteries and pv solar, but I'd expect to probably have to have the engine running to use any kind of electric boiler. Although power spikes from heating elements switching on might trip the inverter and there are certain electrical devices that don't like the sine waves produced by some cheap inverters.

BIAB on gas hob would be no problem but obviously it would use more of the bottle supply than ordinary cooking use (but I have 2 decent sized gas bottles anyway). I'd do a concentrated boil and liquor back with the rest of the volume coming from a canal waterpoint which is a mains supply. I don't drink the water from the integral tank.

Wouldn't need to worry about FV temp control as I've never had any temp. control on any of the brews I've done. Lager style can be done in winter, saisons and wheat beers in the height of summer, and all types of ales anywhere in between. On my boat I could keep the FV in one of the stowages near the hull so it would be a stable temp.

Latest posts

Back