Small batch kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pal

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just fermenting my first kit and already thinking about what to do next. I have to 16l fermenter so I could do 40 pints but at the moment I feel more comfortable with just doing small batches one at a time. Any suggestions on small kits (20 pints) apart from Brewferm?

Cheers

Hi,

I'm just fermenting my first kit and already thinking about what to do next. I have to 16l fermenter so I could do 40 pints but at the moment I feel more comfortable with just doing small batches one at a time. Any suggestions on small kits (20 pints) apart from Brewferm?

Cheers
40 pints is about 23 litres and then you'd need some headspace.
You could make up half the kit and put the rest in the fridge or freezer.
Or, you could start looking into malt extract recipes, which will give you a lot more control.
Graham Wheelers books give malt extract equivalents for most recipes.

As @jof mentioned on your other thread, the premium 3kg kits usually come in 2 identical cans. Simply using one of those to make 20 pints sounds like a solution for you. The only thing you'd need to do is get extra yeast to ferment the second tin.

Cheers Tom

Thanks for the suggestions.

40 pints is about 23 litres and then you'd need some headspace.
You could make up half the kit and put the rest in the fridge or freezer.
Or, you could start looking into malt extract recipes, which will give you a lot more control.
Graham Wheelers books give malt extract equivalents for most recipes.
About freezing the extract, do you just freeze the syrup as it comes out of the can? To thaw the frozen extract, any suggestions?

It's so concentrated that it's its own preservative anyway, but moulds can sometimes take hold.
Just put the rest of the can in a freezer bag and stand it upright in the freezer. Just the extract. Not any yeast.

Latest posts

Back