SIBA BeerX, Sheffield!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are now in Sheffield waiting for the BeerX to open for breweries tomorrow.

We will be touring the exhibition halls and I may be doing a few training seminars. Just thought I would feed back my findings and any discoveries.

Happy to ask any queries, etc.

Will be leaving before the event opens with the bands and winning 200 beers!

(now off to a sneaky invitation brewery session now,,,:thumb::thumb::thumb:)

I'm also at BeerX. How have you found it so far?
Hi, a real treasure trove of info and helpful people. Nice how the big guys are happy to share and encourage noobs like us. The beer has been so varied my head is spinning with ideas and opportunities. Went to Sheffield tap with a group and had a great chat and scoff. Did a couple of presentations will summarise and share what I can remember. Shattered, time to pass out.:oops:

SIBA 2017
Thursday Exhibition Hall.

LALLEMAND; Had a great talk with to Marie Coppet from Lallemand. (The company will be re-branding soon inc Danstar and ab Vickers) I use BRY 97 (West Coast Yeast) and was re-hydrating as per John Palmer. But it seems I have been doing some things wrong,,,

Firstly, check use by. fresher is best! But, yes, definitely re-hydrate with cooled boiled water, adding dried yeast at 30-35*C (way above the 20-23*C I was aiming for) Do not shake!!! but let the yeast dissolve then gently swirl. Pitch within 30 mins or the yeast will be dying. (sometimes I do two brews and was leaving it 2-3 hrs,,,Ooops) Yeast can stand up to 10*C thermal shock, so no need to be too exact on pitch/wort temperatures. Just get it in fast! And aerate once below 27*C (John Palmer) Keep dried yeast cool or in freezer use ASAP. 11G is fine for 23L, but aim for .5-1g yeast / litre wort. However I find 6g / 23L stops the excess Krausen and blocked bubblers,, The chemical makeup of yor brewing liquor will affect this.

Marie is happy to answer brewer queries; [email protected] Great info and a nice tea mug for my other brews – Thank you.

CHARLES FAREM; Hop talk, a lot way above my head but the bottom line is the volume and diversity of hops is increasing. No big problems and the future looks good. However a cautionary warning is that China has a growing demand for hops. Plenty new varieties on offer; Jester looks interesting AA 7-9% Coh 23-28, ; Grapefruit, Lychees, Blackcurrant American hop UK challenger (?) Also some blends like Mozaic. Check out their web www.wellhopped.com thanks for another nice tea mug!!

Lots of plastic/HDPE kegs such as the Eco keg system which seem to be single use for breweries. Just wondered where they end up? Might be a source of cheap secondary/storage options for home brewers that like a re-use option.

Loads of lovely growlers for party dispensing. I particularly liked the re-usable one from Arlington www.beercarriers.co.uk. They are happy to supply groups for splitting up as they supply in 180 piece boxes (@ £0.90 per unit!) and a neat minikeg option with integrated CO2 cylinder from Erben. The company have a sister retail outlet for smaller orders (around 6 pieces)

I was interested in simple Bio testing systems. Looking for coliform presence and assessing sensitisation effectiveness after CIP. Found lots of posh ATP bio-luminescence second generation kits. But still too expensive for us at the moment.

Neat one off test kit from Industrial test systems www. sensafe.com. I have a free sample kit to try!!! The test kit for water quality from ITS looked brilliant, but just a bit expensive for us in our first year. I will report back on effectiveness of the one off sample kit as I will be getting Brewlab or Sheffield Hallam (Dr Jamie Young) to do some routine testing by post as a backup.

Most importantly the beer hall had over 200 beers to sample. I tried my best and failed to taste even half of them even in 1/3pt posh sampling glasses. Phew,,,,,

Back