Show us your dog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watch out....they're poisonous.

And watch out for ticks, last summer i found a tick on the back of my arm it was huge so i think it must have been there a while i didn't feel it bite and only found it by accident when i scratched my arm, i also found out burning them, using chemicals like nail varnish remover (as advised by many google searches) and fat nosed tweezers to remove them can make matters worse as when you squeeze, crush, or puncture the body of the tick it will regurgitate the contents of its stomach its bodily fluids may also contain infection-causing organisms.

If you find one use pointed tweezers to grab its head not body or use a tick remover similar to the ones a pets at home.

• Suitable for all animals and humans
  • Specially designed with a twisting
  • Removes ticks of any size
  • Enables a quick and painless tick removal

1716038047049.png

Lyme disease is caused by bacteria that is spread to humans by tick bites.

What is Lyme disease?

Lyme disease is an infection that can be transmitted by ticks found in the UK, though it should be remembered that not all ticks carry the bacteria which causes Lyme disease and not all bites from an infected tick will result in human infection. The disease can be acquired when someone is bitten by an infected tick, usually outdoors in green spaces where ticks might be present. Lyme disease should not deter you from enjoying the outdoors because you can reduce your chance of infection by following the precautions above.

What are the symptoms of Lyme disease?

One of the most common symptoms is a spreading, ‘bullseye’ rash at the site of the tick bite which typically develops 3 to 30 days after being bitten. This rash does not occur in all cases. Other symptoms include mild flu-like symptoms such as fever, headache and fatigue, a facial droop, nerve pains and numbness or tingling in the hands or feet.

Can Lyme disease be treated?

In the UK, Lyme disease is an uncommon infection and can be successfully treated with antibiotics as per National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines. If untreated, it can cause a wider range of symptoms in some people such as multiple rashes on other parts of the body, facial droop, shooting nerve pain and, rarely, palpitations or joint swelling. Most patients treated in the later stages of infection also respond very well to antibiotics, although some may have long-term damage to their joints or the nervous system.

Looking out for symptoms of Lyme disease and checking yourself for ticks after you go to green spaces where they may be present is very important. Prompt correct tick removal can reduce your chances of acquiring Lyme disease.

Early symptoms typically develop around 1 to 4 weeks after being bitten, however, they can appear anything between 3 to 30 days after exposure to an infected tick. Rapid recognition of symptoms

An animal rescue has issued an urgent appeal to help save its dogs after it was given an eviction notice from its landlord.

The centre has set-up a GoFundMe, while those wanting to apply to adopt or foster a dog or cat visit their website.

1716128208413.png

Celandine Wood Animal Rescue, known as CWAR, in Wirral cares for 50 dogs as well as taking in cats and wildlife from Merseyside and the surrounding area.

But the organisation, which is run entirely by volunteers, says it is now facing closure unless it can raise enough money for a new home in just four weeks.

It is now appealing to anyone who is able to foster or adopt a dog to get in touch.

“We have kindly been allowed to use the land for free, but now it is being sold and we need to relocate,” said founder and vet Sharon Williams.

“The use of it has meant we have saved many animals’ lives, but now we are faced with eviction.”

Another area of land has been offered to the centre to rent by the landlord, but it is currently unsuitable as it has no fencing or buildings.

Volunteers hope they can raise funds to build a temporary kennels for the dogs to keep them safe and sheltered.

They say they ultimately hope to build a permanent purpose-built home to quadruple the rescue spaces the centre currently offers, costing around £1 million.

Sharon founded CWAR in 2023, after years of taking animals home which had been brought in for euthanisation.

She initially ran the rescue on her own, but now has a 30-strong team who have saved around 1,000 animals.

1716128308129.png

She is calling on the community to help the rescue during this crisis.

She added: “My team of volunteers work incredibly hard day in, day out, to rescue animals and bring funds in. One animal can cost us thousands in veterinary care.

“But now we are facing a real threat to our dogs and our future and we can’t save them by ourselves.

“People who can adopt or foster – please come forward because you will literally be saving a dog’s life.

“I know times are tough for many, but I’d ask everyone reading this now to please donate whatever you can.

“And even if you can’t afford to donate, please share our appeal and help us spread the word.”

She said the centre had been forced to turn away animals following a surge caused by the cost of living crisis.

“We’re forced to turn away about 100 animals that we’ve been asked to help each and every week," she said.

“We had a surge of new dog owners during the pandemic and shelters are still dealing with the fall out with unprecedented levels of pets being abandoned.

“People are giving up their animals because they can’t afford them.

“The cost-of-living crisis also means fewer people are opening up their homes to shelter animals.

"And it’s harder to raise funds in a downturn to help this deluge of animals. It’s heartbreaking."

The centre has set-up a GoFundMe, while those wanting to apply to adopt or foster a dog or cat visit their website.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2024-05-18/appeal-to-save-50-rescue-dogs-facing-homelessness

Latest posts

Back