Saison, unsure what taste is like ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milesey

Reaction score
Can I buy "saison" from a supermarket in can / bottle ?

Can anyone recommend something , apart from stout / porter , perhaps only one I've never brewed , would like.to taste the style

M&S have one brewed by St Austell. I've not tried it, but would imagine they'd do a reasonable job of brewing one.

If you have a local independent bottle shop, you could check if they stock Saison Dupont by Brasserie Dupont, it's widely regarded as being a benchmark for the style.

The BJCP style guidelines are a good reference point for most styles, too.
https://dev.bjcp.org/style/2015/25/25B/saison/

Tank 7 from Boulevard Brewing is also a very nice example of the style, but actually too high in ABV to be a real saison. Don't forget, the reason it was brewed was to provide a refreshing (and replenishing) drink to the seasonal workers in Hainaut and the northern France in the hottest months of the summer.

Saison du Pont is considered the quintessential saison, and is available in bottles from bottle shops. A good place to start. It uses a multi-strain yeast and I believe two of the strains are available to buy in liquid form. WLP565 is one of them. Yeast is the defining feature in modern saisons. If you don't like Du Pont, you may like another saison.

Saison yeasts vary a fair bit, as do saison beers, and there are quite a few liquid options. People generally like some more than others. If you split a batch between WLP565 Belgian Saison and Wyeast 3711 French Saison you would get two quite different beers. 565 is earthy, peppery and spicy. 3711 is peppery, spicy and citrusy and very dry. So similarities, but the earthy/citrusy thing makes them quite different. 3711 is thought to come from Brasserie Thiriez, so if you can find a saisin from that brewery you would get an idea.

All that said, if you just go out and buy 2 or 3 saisons from a decent bottle shop you'll get the gist. It's one of my favourite styles now, I've brewed a few but very much learning still.

My first Saison inspired beer was Brewdog Electric India. It's one of their seasonal beers so not available all the time....it appears in Asda sometimes or you may get it on their website.
As said they can vary a bit and the more traditional ones can be quite away from some of the more inventive creations.

I tried to buy some last year to try, but couldn't find any stocked near me so brewed either Geterbrewed or MM recipe kit, had a stuck fermentation and eventually after 3 or 4 weeks kegged it.

It kept getting better with time as most beer does, but had an unusual fruity/citrussy taste, which I put down to the yeast from what I have read, it was one of few beers my Mrs liked, but not something I could drink more than one of as the flavour was so powerful, more of an IPA or Stout/Porter taste myself.
I would do it again but try different yeasts just out of interest.

Hmm thanks everyone for your input

Think I'm going to give it a miss , don't think it's my thing by sounds of it

Yeah saisons are a different ball game to a lot of styles , a lot of people love them and many are like "what the hell is this?" I would try one before brewing something like that because its really funky

I quite like a saison but being faced with 40 bottles and that's all you've got to drink til the next brew is ready...
From experience you can take any recipe for a beer, add a saison yeast, and pretty much all you'll taste is saison. Bananas plus a hint of cloves.

Saison is a broad church, it's not all funky, and not all banana or cloves. I wouldn't write saison off on the basis of one beer or one yeast, there are lots of different saisons on the market and lots of yeast options too. I like some and not others, and I find that about Belgian beers generally.

You can make hoppy saisons. According to "Farmhouse ales", there is normally a relatively small bitterhop addition, but multiple low alpha hop additions. Remember, this is a style which first must be refreshing and replenishing. Something that can be drunk really cold, something that can be drunk the whole day. Also, something that is stored from winter to the start of summer, and will certainly taste different after a couple of months. I always try brew saison beforehand so that it can lager at least a month after bottling, preferably longer.

You can make hoppy saisons. According to "Farmhouse ales", there is normally a relatively small bitterhop addition, but multiple low alpha hop additions. Remember, this is a style which first must be refreshing and replenishing. Something that can be drunk really cold, something that can be drunk the whole day. Also, something that is stored from winter to the start of summer, and will certainly taste different after a couple of months. I always try brew saison beforehand so that it can lager at least a month after bottling, preferably longer.
don't think I could drink my saisons all day my last 3 were 6.3% , 7% & 8.5% wink...

i could quite happily drink saisons all the time - bloomin love them.
as a 'try out' yeast, go for belle-saison from danstar. Its a fairly typical belgian saison style and ferments like a rocket to give a quick turnaround time. Used it a few times now and it really does produce a lovely refreshing beer.

Its slowly getting warmer, so its saison time!!! Planning on harvesting some yeast from my next Saison and using it for a continuous saison brew for a few months to get a HUGE stockpile ready for July-Sept.

I can only really pass comment on my own one, GH grain and hop bill with Belle Saison yeast. Bottled the other day and the taste from the FV is bone dry, but once you pass that there is definitely yeast and malt there, i am looking forward to it being ready.

I’m drinking a couple of bottles tonight. Really nice. It is a nice BBQ beer. I might try out the Mangrove Jacks kit version.

Attachments

• F6B619BE-71E7-470F-8C23-3159699B3863.jpeg
    F6B619BE-71E7-470F-8C23-3159699B3863.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 75
  • D7546593-124C-4FFB-9930-64E3FEC5855A.jpeg
    D7546593-124C-4FFB-9930-64E3FEC5855A.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 72
  • B7321418-1D8E-4F84-BEB6-91454ABEE826.jpeg
    B7321418-1D8E-4F84-BEB6-91454ABEE826.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back