Saaz extract brew advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceteri

Reaction score
some time ago i eagerly bought some (but not all!) ingredients from my local homebrew store for a pilsner extract brew. At the time the guy in the store gave me some instructions on how to brew the beer that i hastily scrawled down, but i have since lost these.

Could anyone give me some advice on what extra ingredients i should get, and what i need to do to make a reasonable 23l brew? I was aiming for a pilsner type lager.

The current ingredients i have are:

SAAZ hops (Alpha 2.8%) 113g These are in a silver vacuum pack like a square block
1.5kg extra light spray malt
Mauribrew Lager 497 Yeast

I have done a couple of extract brews before but only by following recipes (Brew UKs 'Summer Ale' and 'Tettnang Tiger' kits). So some guidance on this would also be great. I have a 15l stock pot i use to boil the wort and from my head i am thinking something like the following?:

bring water to the boil
add malt extract and dissolve (how much extra malt extract will i need for a beer around 4%? should it be extra light?)
add the hops, about 3/4s so 85g approx (is this enough? i like hoppy beers)
boil for 40 mins
add the rest of the hops
boil for a further 10 mins
strain into FV
top up to 23l with cold water
add yeast when wort is cooled

any advice on this would be appreciated, i should really be following recipes and instructions until i have more experience rather than doing it this way but i would like to use these ingredients before they pass their use by date, would be a terrible shame to waste them ;)

you've got it right there , i would add around 1kg of the dme at the start but you'll need approx 3kg in total , and you can add the rest of it with 15 mins to go of boil , everything else sounds good to me . extra light is wanted cuz it's a light coloured beer hence extra light is ideal . sazz are lovely btw and you don't want it too hoppy , it's a lager after all . Good luck and good brewing :thumb:

I just plugged some figures into Beer Smith and this is what I came up with:
Boil 15l water
Add 1.5kg extra light DME & 85g Saaz.
After 40 mins, add 1.5kg DME & 28g Saaz
Boil for a further 20 mins.
Strain and top up to 23 litres

Estimated SG: 1.048
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated ABV: 4.6%

Bitterness: 29 IBUS (in the low end of the green zone, based on a German Pils style)
Colour: 6.3 EBC (in the middle of the green zone)

Looks like it should work, but I've only just done my first extract, so others may have more comments.

It may be worth dry-hopping with Saaz or Hallertau, as well, just for a bit more aroma.

Mauribrew Lager 497 Yeast
One thing to consider is that a lager yeast needs good temperature control. From what I can see on the web this one brews between 10-16°C which is probably colder than your house is, if you are planning on brewing in a hallway, spare room, etc. If you can't get the temp that low then you may get better results with a clean tasting ale yeast such as Safale US-05.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm heading to the homebrew shop tomorrow so will grab some more malt extract then. Will also grab a different yeast as will be fermenting at room temperature.

Cheers all!

Back