Rusty Cornie!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdog64

Reaction score
I have one of those Chinese made 23 L Cornies. And THEN I got wise and bought a proper AEB Cornie from Norm.....

The Chinese item is gas tight, and is OK apart from rust at the very bottom, on the "shoulder" where it meets the circular base plate of the Cornie. It's just a fairly thin rim they didn't think to make stainless or was just shoddy work.

Anyone know of any effective treatment? I've tried barkeepers friend and a few other chemicals, to no avail. My arms aren't long or thin enough to fit down a 23L keg.

Has anyone had any success with powder coating or similar? Any advice hugely appreciated. I'd sooner not have to bin it, as it's fine apart from this.

Cheers in advance.

bar keepers friend would have been my suggestion but since u tried that???

thinking out of the box, could u gradually abraid off the corrosion using sand and turning the keg on rollers??

now there is a chemical epoxy solution for re-skinning a rusty petrol tank for mororbikes.. If you can find an epoxy resin beer/foodsafe once cured you could try coating the area with that??, again rolling the keg on rollers for an even coating but what if anything fits the bill i dunno??
a few folk have used jbweld as its Not Not foodsafe..?? but has discoloured in some situations like sealing kettle drains, and is a thicker consistency than something you could roll the keg for an even coating

Like Fil said, you can use Petseal. I've used it before on motorbike tanks but I'll be honest, I don't know if its food safe. Sounds ominous if its going rusty though.

I used to think stainless did not corrode but cheap stainless does rust :-(

I have no useful ideas tbh. Eager to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Id be very weary of coating it as it will leave safe havens for bacteria to multiply. It has to be smoothed off with grit paper or something. I use carboy drill cleaner maybe something attached to a drill that can reach down and try clean it off. brillo pad or something. Long wooden dowel and put some fine sand in there the dowel in drill might grind rust portion off with sand leaving uncorroded stainless. Then if you use any cleaner with acid make sure you dont leave it in for any long periods as this will corrode keg again.

Latest posts

Back