rubber seals, inside or out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
Rubber seals on keg taps and CO2 valves.
Should these be on the inside or outside.

Thinking about it logically, if they were on the inside, then any gas pressure, would put additional pressure on the seal, resulting in a stronger seal ?

Whereas on the outside, the seal would be under pressure to release.

Hi!
Outside.
You don't want to have a seal next to the backnut because it will deform when you tighten the nut. OK, you aren't going to tithten the nut beyond finger tight, but there is a chance that even this will deform the seal.

Hi!
Outside.
You don't want to have a seal next to the backnut because it will deform when you tighten the nut. OK, you aren't going to tithten the nut beyond finger tight, but there is a chance that even this will deform the seal.

Against all logic (i.e. the internal pressure will increase the sealing potential) I have to agree ... :thumb:

... and I have previously recommended trying the washer on the inside if it was found to be leaking. :doh:

I have also checked the two rainwater barrels and main water collection tank out in the garden that haven't leaked in years ... :thumb:

... and the washers are on the outside! :whistle:

Latest posts

Back