Ribena Wine......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
Just started a DJ of Ribena Wine.

3LB sugar disolved in warm water
300ml ribena
youngs 'red' yeast
1/3 tsp citric acid
1/3 tsp pectolase
1/2 tsp youngs yeast nutrient

Topped up to 3/4 with water.

Trouble is i followed the recipe to the letter- exact measurements etc etc

When i went to take a reading it was off the scale!!! It did seem like a lot of sugar.

If i had to estimate i would have said it was around 1.180 but my glass and plastic hydro's only go up to 1.160.

Is this a problem, i am a complete novice!!! :?

It'll be sweet :thumb:
It may be worth trying adding a high alcohol tolerant yeast :hmm:

I recon you will be very lucky to get it started and if you do it will stick when still horrendously sweet.

Make it up to 2galls with all the ingredients you used initially except sugar and then adjust the SG to about 1.090 ;)

Hi wurzel, thanks for the advice.

I have added same again of everything except sugar.
And split it in half.

I have now got two Ribena wines.

one started at 1.090 , the other just under 1.100.

That was without changing the sugar level, and seems about spot on from what you said!!

i will remember that next time i will half the amount of sugar the book says!! :nono:

cheers
jon

Half a teaspoon nutrient does sound a bit small, I'd get in one or two, and (if you have any) some vitamin B1 to get it off the mark.

leondz said:
Half a teaspoon nutrient does sound a bit small, I'd get in one or two, and (if you have any) some vitamin B1 to get it off the mark.
That is true, a half tsp of nutrement is a bit small....better still is a tsp or 2 of Tronozymol, that stuff is the ******** and also contains B1 :thumb:

P.S. still not to late to add some more nutriment at this stage CptnCrackoff ;)

Back