ribena wine not bubbling yet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandkell

Reaction score
i started my ribena wine off last night at about 9 pm and as yet hasnt started bubbling? i have it near a radiator but not too close it smells fermenty ( if thats a word?) but just no action any ideas what i can do?

i boiled the ribena sugar and water cooled then added to the bin after that when it had a top up i added one teaspoon of yeast per gallonwhich in my mind equates to 5 teaspoons to a 25 litre bucket set the airlock and left it! now as it wasnt bubbling i took the lid off and agitated it heavily to get oxygen into the mix to help the yeast and sugars along but still no sign of fermentation!

mmmmmmh??????? what can i do next or have i done something wrong? :? :? :?

Sorry, found this after I had replied to the other thread.

If it's in a bucket, why should the CO2 bother going through an airlock if it can leak around the lid?

Put your ear to the bucket - is it fizzing?

Lift the lid, stick your nose in and inhale - did you cough and go dizzy?

If “yes” to either, it's working.

IF THATS THE CASE THEN HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN FERMENTATION HAS STOPPED AND IS READY FOR RACKING?

alandkell said:
IF THATS THE CASE THEN HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN FERMENTATION HAS STOPPED AND IS READY FOR RACKING?
The same way the rest of us do :thumb:
Use a hydrometer ;)

thats ok if ya know what the hydrometer should say but iam knew and still learning but when should i check and what should i be looking for! if i open the bucket wont oxygen cause a problem?????? :?

alandkell said:
Alright, no need to shout, some people on here might have hangovers. ;)

As before, listen and smell.

A bucket really isn't the best place for it to be, but it will be ok for a while.

Hydrometer reading should get down to 1.000 or less (I try to finish my wines around 0.995) in 2-3 weeks, at which point you should rack into demijohns or PET water bottles.

I had the same problem.
I repeatedly boiled the juice but it would not start fermenting.
Have you added citrus acid?

bobnr32 said:
I had the same problem.
I repeatedly boiled the juice but it would not start fermenting.
Have you added citrus acid?

yes added the juice of one whole lemon! have noticed a small change of pressure in the airlock this morning so i think it might have just got off to a slow start will keep ya all informed thankx everyone!
next time i will shout quieter too!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

alandkell said:
yes added the juice of one whole lemon! have noticed a small change of pressure in the airlock this morning so i think it might have just got off to a slow start will keep ya all informed thankx everyone!
next time i will shout quieter too!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

from what i remember from my strawberry ribena wine, ther isnt any need to add citric acid, just use a GP yeast and a little nutriant. mine femented down to .990 without any problems. OK it took about 36 hours to get going and the it femented like a mad man. (still got the purple stain on the floor to prove it.) :oops:

great its working i tightened the seal tonight and its going like a train! thankx for all advice! :party: :party: :party:

Back