Restricting flow through pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
Afternoon

I am new to pumps and having purchased some newer bigger shinier equipment from Bionicmonkey I now need to use them so I can have the kit at the same level in the new brewery build ( pics of which to come soon if I can resurrect my camera).

I have 2 pumps, and to run wort from the mashtun I definitely need to reduce the flow I think. If I just partially close the ball valve from the tun this certainly does the job - but will it damage the pump ?- it is trying to collapse the silicone hose so I am guessing it's not too happy ?

cheers
Paul

Have the valve on the outlet of the pump . . . that is the safe wwy to do it and unless the pump is direct drive (Like my Stuart Turner and my RG55) it is unlikely to do any damage . . . . Putting a bypass loop in between the inlet and outlet is a better way to do it though

Do not restrict the inlet to the pump at any time

jamesb said:
What type of pump do you have out of interest?
One's a Totton GP20/12 - the other I am not so sure... can't find a make or model on it - Its bigger than the Totton in actual size - once I get the camera back running I'll post a pic of it.

And thanks Aleman - I'll look at putting a loop in there I think ( hadn't thought of that) :thumb:

I've just put a 5" filter from my MT prior to the pump as grain was getting into my March May Pump! The grains were also getting stuck in the elbow to my mashtun and restricting flow down into my Wort Aeriator!

This is my modified filter...I have added a medium grade SS Mesh around the SS filter housing and tightened it with cable ties!.
IMG_0502.jpg

A close Up...
IMG_0498.jpg

Outlet from MT to Filter running down into the pump!
IMG_0492.jpg

I intend trying it out on the Forum Xmas Brew next week :thumb:

highwayman said:
I've just put a 5" filter from my MT prior to the pump as grain was getting into my March May Pump! The grains were also getting stuck in the elbow to my mashtun and restricting flow down into my Wort Aeriator!

IMG_0492.jpg

Thanks highwayman - if that's your March May pump on the floor, I reckon that's the same as my second pump.

I need to do some thinking :hmm: ... I have an old coolbox mashtun that I may use as an underback in the meantime... .

Latest posts

Back