regulator problem, please help!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davebispham81

Reaction score
Is it normal for my regulator to make a constant hissing noise??? this is the first time i have used my corny keg which i bought from norm a few weeks ago and im not sure if its supposed to do that. It sounds like its coming from the grey bit that screws onto the regulator and the grey pipe pushes into, i tried putting soapy water on it but no bubbles from anywhere so then i got out the spanner and ended up snapping the thing clean off, luckily i had another so i swapped it over and its making the same hissing noise, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of reg is it? Do you have a pic of it?

The reg will hiss and squeal a bit as gas passes through it, until the pressure in the attached cornie reaches the pressure level preset on the regulator. Depending on how high that is set, it may take a few mins to equalize. As you draw beer from it, the reg will have to compensate for that, and deliver a small amount of gas.

If its not that and there is a leak, check all the connectors as you have done, with very soapy water to detect any leaks. Don't force a connection or as you've didcoveref, it'll break. The seal should be good with minimal force. If it isn't, maybe a new o-ring might be needed?

If you turn off the outlet to the cornie but keep the gas bottle on, does the system still make the noise?

Is it doing it with the disconnect removed as then there should be nowhere for the CO2 to go. As posted above if you are connected to the cornie it could be air hissing through into the keg ( and that could be leaking, or it could just be building up to pressure).

thanks for the help guys, i went to check if it still made the noise when i disconnect from the keg and it did, so then i removed the grey pipe from the disconnect and the regulator and flipped it around and the noise came from the plastic connector on the disconnect this time so i chopped the dodgy end of the gas pipe down a few mm and problem solved.

thanks again guys :thumb:

Latest posts

Back