re-using yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinchy

Reaction score
I have read a couple of posts suggesting that it is possible to re-use the yeast/sediment from your last wine/cider brew.... is this right, or have i just got the muddy end of the stick?? I have got a 1 gallon supermarket juice just finishing and plenty more juices lined up just waiting for the chance to be transformed :whistle:

If it is correct, could someone chuck some instructions up please?? :D

Ta very muchly ;)

I was wondering this too...
Is there an advantage to using old yeast apart from saving a bit of money?

I've never tried this, but I've heard you can take some of your must about a day after pitching then stick it in the fridge to make the yeast dormant and not kill them. You can then use this for pitching a new wine at a later date, quite useful if you have payed £4 for a turbo /high alcohol yeast etc. Don't know how long it stays fresh/usable for, maybe someone else has more info on this?

My advice would be to not use the sediment from a brew it start a new one.

It contains loads of dead and decomposing yeast cells and organic matter, in theory the yeast will use that as nutrient to build up a new colony but it may cause off flavours in the new wine.

Any infections in the initial wine will also be transferred to subsequent brews.

For what a tub of yeast costs is it worth it :!:

Back