Raisin wine, gravity and floaty bits.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
following a recipe from an old B&Q book - 'the best way to do it'

Soaked 1lb finely chopped raisins - (not glazed just pure untreated raisins) in half gallon boiling water, left overnight.

strained into a clean DJ, couldnt find my nylon sieve, so used a tuna strainer, this has let a few small bits through, can i filter after fermentation has finished!? :?

Added 2lb suagr - dissolved in hot water.

Took a reading - 1.070 which i thought odd as recipe says should be roughly 1.090 - 1.100.

gradualy added more dissolved suagr taking readings until i hit 1.090

Added citric acid, pectolase, nutrient and a large spoonfull of youngs high alcohol yeast.

It went crazy!! within half an hour had an inch of foam, it sat in the bath overnight just in case! :shock:

its still going now, constant bubbling, its going like crazy! :thumb:

but it has dawned on me that IIRC the hydro's are calibrated at 20c, when i took the readings the mixture was well over that, id say hot rather than warm.

am i likely to end up with a very strong sweet wine!?

Its my first go at raisin.

jon

You can use the hydrometer temperature correction calculator on this site to get a more accurate reading if you know the temperature at which you took your original hydro readings.

Click on the calculators link at the top left of your page in the sponsers banner and scroll down till you find the one you need. Then you'll know what your wine will turn out like :thumb:

2 lbs sugar in 1 gallon should give a gravity of 1.075, then you've got the sugars from the raisins to give their estimate of 1.090 - 1.100. What's it reading now?

Any bits will settle with the sediment, don't worry about them.

If your yeast is up to the job then it should still ferment out, but your abv will be higher than you originally planned :drunk:

Hi, i havnt took anymore readings, its still fermenting like anything, the abv isnt too important to me, long as its over 10 ish!! :D

Think the yeast will be ok, 1tsp of youngs nutrient, and a very large tsp of youngs high alcohol yeast! :party:

I will filter the bits out when racked, but i dont reckon that'll be for a good while yet, the book said two months!!! :hmm:

Latest posts

Back