Pumped system using solar pump?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairybiker

Landlord.
Reaction score
After reading about solar pumps I am thinking about using one to create a pumped system. Has anyone done this? Got any feedback/tips?

My system at the mo is:-
5 Gal HLT (26l bucket with 2KW ele in it) Small tap
24l Mash tun (picnic cooler) Beer Spere Keg Tap
10 Gal boiler (2 (2.2/2.5KW) ele's) 15mm tap/ball valve

So I would probably need to replace the taps on the hlt & mash tun to 15mm ball valve ?

Be-gad that is a SMALL pump! :D
EDIT:- just ordered one worth not loosing another 5kg of malt & 12l of wort all over the floor :D

Hmm given some suitable tubing looks like I could get away with not replacing the taps?

It's going to be a great pump for recirculating my HLT to ensure even temperatures, and then just flip the outlet over to the Spiny Sparger for sparging . . . Cracking

I use a 12V solar heating system pump in my set up powered from an old train set transformer. It works great for me, especially as I can control the speed to prevent the mash being sucked onto the slotted pipes and restricting flow.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9084

If this is in any way similar to how you are intending set things up please give me a shout and I can expand on what I did.

To power my pump I was using a Maplin's adapter, but the variable dial was a pain to switch when sparging.

Found THIS ONE instore at my local Asda for under £8 that's much easier to use

Looks interesting, do you find that your mash tun looses that much that you need a heating coil in it?
My MT is a cooler box from Asda and it seems to only loose 1deg over 90min. (with 12-14l + 5Kg malt in it)

I am in the process of modifying my MT as I used to have a W&D tap on it, but want to convert to a 15mm Tank connector + ball valve so I can connect it to the pump easily, then the MT & boiler will stay on the floor with the HLT on the kitchen surface to give me a sparge head for my rotating sparge arm.

I may end up buying a new MT but as this one is only 3 brews old I am loath to :grin: (also SWMBO would not be amused)

I am debating about buying one of those digital temp controllers, but do I need it or is it just another cool gadget :?: :P

I cover my insulated old tea urn with a sleeping bag and keep temp for 90min. I had a gate valve on it, but kept leaving it open and got sick of working in puddles so bought a ball valve :D

I'd love to gadget my ickle system up, been looking at the temp controllers on ebay, but maybe a winter project :hmm:

Latest posts

Back