Problem with turbo yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnaggerMan

Reaction score
So, I started making a 1 liter batch of kilju in a 2 liter bottle. So, I added 2 deciliters of sugar and some turbo yeast(not sure about the amount, but it was enough). So, the fermentation didn´t start in four hours and I noticed that the yeast is already settling down to the bottom of the bottle. The problem cant be in the temperature, because the bottle is in room temperature.

What the heck is wrong?

Give it a good shake and get some air into it.

I've never used turbo yeast, but let's face it, apart from the sugar there's damn-all for the yeasties to get excited about, give the poor buggers some other nutrients and a bit of acid.

Also, why are you faffing about with such stupid little volumes?

By the way, my little kilju tester is still bubbling away gently, is completely clear and tastes quite ok for sweet, alcoholic water, but I've fermented, cleared, bottled and drunk 14%abv wines in the time that's taken.

I made Kilju a few months back, fermentation got stuck after 3 weeks (even though I stuck a load of Yeast Nutrient and Vitamin B1 in there), leaving me with a sickly sweet drink that was around 8%. Didn't taste very nice either. Won't be making it again...

Next time I´m going make 25 liter batch.

My kilju started fermenting few hours ago and everything is okay now.

Back