Prming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just about to go down to kitchen to put my coopers irish stout in a pressure barrel. I have 40 pints of this batch but I also want to bottle approx 10 x pint sized bottles.
Would I be right in thinking about 100/110 grams sugar is about right?
Also do you recommend I make up the priming syrup and add to the barrel and then fill bottles? (does this work?) or would you prime the bottles individually with heaped tea spoonfuls. :cheers:

Have a looksee at these two threads .......

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30180&start=0&hilit=bombs

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26469&hilit=bottle+bombs&start=0

Baz Chaz said:
There seems to have been a few questions recently about priming brews, batch priming or bottle priming, well I'm a batch primer personally, so I thought I'd do a bit of an experiment ....... no not another along the line of my 'bottle bomb' experiment, more of a how little could you prime per bottle :idea:

I don't like fizzy beer, which is my personal preference, so I'm happy to be priming on the low side, like I said, I batch prime so while bottling this morning I made 20 ltrs available for experimentation purposes, 20 ltrs make for easy maths :geek:

Normally batch at 80g for 23 ltr (but have been down to 60g) and I only use plain old granulated sugar, nothing fancy, so a rough average of 3.5g per litre. 3.5g x 23ltr = 80.5g would be my norm.

A heaped teaspoon (I mean heaped, as much as you can get on one) I weighed out at 8g, a level teaspoon (scraped flat with a knife)weighed out at 3g, so my normal batch primed bottles would have the equivalent of half a level teaspoon if bottle primed, thats not a big amount when you see it after you've weighed it.

Several months ago I bought a set of Cooks measuring spoons from The Range, cost £1.50p
there's 10 different sized spoons and 3 cups all contained on a nice plastic hanging ring.
They are a luminous Orange colour..... you can't loose them around the brewery. :D
I took 10 samples with the half teaspoon measure, using ordinary Tate and Lyle household granulated suger. Each one when scraped flat with a knife weighed in at 3 gms.
The 1 teaspoon sized spoon weighed in exactly ..6gms...
I use them all the time for bottle priming.
I'm not overly found of gassy beers so have stuck with the half tsp, or 3 gms per 500ml bottles I use and they carbonate just as I like them.
However with this cold spell they are taking a week longer to get nice and hard in the PET bottles as opposed to when the weather was warmer.

piddledribble said:
Several months ago I bought a set of Cooks measuring spoons from The Range, cost £1.50p
there's 10 different sized spoons and 3 cups all contained on a nice plastic hanging ring.

This is what i use, but i like my beer fizzy so go with the full tsp.

Latest posts

Back