Priming sugar vs ordinary sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clydebrewer

Reaction score
So far I've used Cooper's carbonation drops for priming into glass and pet bottles but now have three packs of priming sugar.
The packs are from Young's and Festival kits.
So, to the chase, I have a Cooper's Canadian Blonde ready and four mini kegs.
How much of these sugars should I prime each keg with and as one of the packs of sugar is marked as dark ale\stout what is the difference with the packs just marked as priming sugar.
Hope this makes sense but it is Saturday night.

My understanding is that kit 'priming sugar' is brewing sugar or dextrose. Dextrose is slightly less fermentable than table sugar but as far a priming is concerned they are interchangeable.
So, if it were ordinary bottle or kegs I would be priming at a rate of 4.5 g sugar/litre (or one of my brewing teaspoons) for ales and between 5.5g and 6.5g litre for lighter beers, like a Canadian Blond.
If you are not sure use http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/.
That said if you are using minikegs/easykegs people on here seem to be suggesting that you should only prime at 2/3 the 'normal' rate. So suggest you read the EasyKeg post to check this out. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57568

Thanks, I guess that the different labeling is just down to the amount given with each kit.
I'll be kegging and bottling at the start of the week so will check out the amounts you've given me.

In 40 years (eek) of brewing I've never used anything other than ordinary granulated sugar. "Carbonation drops"? Bah, humbug. Actually with a bit of black and white food colouring I guess "humbugs" is what you'll have?

In my defence, the only reading I had done before my first brew was the instructions on the Coopers kit.
I have also read of people using Light malt for priming too.
So many choices so little time.

Latest posts

Back