Pressure barrel??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chassyp

Reaction score
Wilkinsons are selling a fermenting barrel with screw top and tap for a fiver! Can I fit a pressure valve and use it as a keg?? Thanks anyone! :cheers:

I had a quick messure with a pressure valve and your right it wont fit! However if I used a wider steel washer and rubber washer I could get it to fit! I wonder if its made that way to stop people using it as such? As a hunter gatherer my instinct says have a a go! I know what you mean about the pressure but it looks and feels the part. I may have a go and create a trend. I`ll keep the board informed. Thanks again :thumb: :cheers:

Thanks Jamesb. I hear what you are saying but not convinced until I hear of someone blowing one up!! I know I know!! You are saying why ask the friggin question then?? I really want a definitive answer rather than an assumption. I may have to have a go with water and a pressure valve myself to get the answer. I have given the barrel a good looking at and it doesn’t say anything about pressure! The reason my suspicions are aroused is that the makers have made the hole in the lid slightly bigger so to make it not fit a pressure valve! Cynical I know, but working in my line (building trade) for over 40 years I have seen many things repackaged and sold as sommet else!! Come on everyone tell me to blow one up and find out! Ps great amusing blog. :thumb:

And there was me thinking that the hole was just made to be the perfect size for a standard airlock bung.

I see what you're saying about repackaged stuff and for the most part agree, but not in this instance.

I worked in the pressure industry for years. Don't **** about with it. It can be dangerous.

jamesb said:
And there was me thinking that the hole was just made to be the perfect size for a standard airlock bung.

I see what you're saying about repackaged stuff and for the most part agree, but not in this instance.

I worked in the pressure industry for years. Don't **** about with it. It can be dangerous.

i agree i wouldn't risk it and i like to try things out of curiosity and fix things until there broken but i think this is waaay to risky. If your going to do it i would get the hard hat out and sand bags ready.

:lol:

Yea of course i wouldnt take any risks. I guess I would get someone else to have try it!! :eek:

Latest posts

Back